Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is This Possible?

My brother and I are talking about getting 2 new waverunners. The one's I have in my sig actually belong to my aunt, who lives in NC (I'm in Ohio). Anyway, I was wondering if my brother's car, Mazda Speed 3, would be able to tow two Yamaha GP1300R's?

Don't know if this will help?

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MS3

Last edited by Goliath; 09-10-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Anyone know?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    i am gonna take a stab and say it can do it but it's not gonna like it.... gpr's are gonna be around the 550-600 mark each so thats 1200lbs. figure another 10 gallons of fuel in each.... 160 pounds plus double trailer.... you are probably gonna be near the 1 ton mark... i don't think that thing will handle it too well

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    My brother and I are talking about getting 2 new waverunners. The one's I have in my sig actually belong to my aunt, who lives in NC (I'm in Ohio).
    Anyway, I was wondering if my brother's car, Mazda Speed 3, would be able to tow two Yamaha GP1300R's?...
    Automatic or manual transmission?

Does that model have a tow rating?
    Tow load capacity, and max tongue weight?

My guess is that, even with an aluminum double trailer (maybe 200lbs less than a steel trailer), a Mazda 3 series will be rather heavily taxed. Not so much engine power, but vehicle weight relative to trailer+load weight.

My trailer + two similar to GPR weight PWC is about 1,800lbs, and the tongue weight is maybe 180lbs.

Towing, in general, is not really about the engine power. Main factors are chassis tow capacity and handling with a loaded trailer, braking capacity with trailer (think emergency lane changes, and emergency braking without jack-knifing the trailer).

An automatic transmission would be the better choice when trying to ease a heavy (about 50% of the car's own weight) trailer+PWC up a slippery launch ramp). You need to be able to ease on the torque to avoid wheel spin, and that is hard to do with a manual without a lot of slipping and heating of the clutch.

I tow an aluminum Triton Elite WC2 trailer with a Chevrolet Malibu Maxx. Less power than that Mazda, but the long wheelbase and automatic transmission work well with the loaded trailer.

I did add a set of Air Lift 1000 air bags to the rear coil springs.

Note that the tongue weight on the trailer hitch takes away from the total weight you can have inside the car itself.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Automatic or manual transmission?
    It is a manual.

After I posted I started to realize that that question wasn't very practical. I started to look around and it seems like a Toyota Tacoma would be the cheapest option. It says:

Payload: 1530
    Tongue Load: 350
    Standard towing capacity: 3500
    Maximum Capacity: 3500

So, if I am looking at this right, that could handle it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    It is a manual.

After I posted I started to realize that that question wasn't very practical. I started to look around and it seems like a Toyota Tacoma would be the cheapest option. It says:

Payload: 1530
    Tongue Load: 350
    Standard towing capacity: 3500
    Maximum Capacity: 3500

So, if I am looking at this right, that could handle it easily.
    V6 or I4?

my friend has the I4 tacoma and he says it really taxes the engine towing the ski`s...

Contact DrewNJ for information on the tacoma, he recently purchased one...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    V6 or I4?

my friend has the I4 tacoma and he says it really taxes the engine towing the ski`s...

Contact DrewNJ for information on the tacoma, he recently purchased one...
    I'm pretty sure it is an inline 4. I'm actually looking on craigslist. There are some nice trucks on here for a reasonable price...
    Last edited by Goliath; 09-13-2008 at 10:20 AM.

trailering

It is possible,I towed a 3500 lb trailer with a 3.0 V6 in a 84 century. I added a over size radiator, oil cooler and a cooler for the auto tranny. It lasted three years before the tranny temp. started to rise. The trailer had electric brakes. Your biggest problem is not power but being able to control the trailer and car when stopping. Assuming you are towing on flat ground, the only other concern would be enough torque to pull out at a ramp without having to slip the clutch to the point of wasting it. Is it possible maybe would I recommend it NO. I have towed all types of trailers for years this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by divin10 View Post
    It is possible,I towed a 3500 lb trailer with a 3.0 V6 in a 84 century. I added a over size radiator, oil cooler and a cooler for the auto tranny. It lasted three years before the tranny temp. started to rise. The trailer had electric brakes. Your biggest problem is not power but being able to control the trailer and car when stopping. Assuming you are towing on flat ground, the only other concern would be enough torque to pull out at a ramp without having to slip the clutch to the point of wasting it. Is it possible maybe would I recommend it NO. I have towed all types of trailers for years this doesn't seem like a good idea.
    Thanks... I'm going to keep looking on Craigslist for something. I might not even have to get one. With the job my brother might get, comes a car. I'm assuming it will be a truck, since it is for the job site...

+1
    First you will have to find a hitch for the Mazda 3, or make one, and I would like to see someone attached a hitch to one. Your best bet is getting a small truck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information