NO Spark on 2 cylinders 1100 Raider

ok so I decided to make sure I was getting spark to my raider 96 1100 that would barely run- Backfired about 2 weeks ago, and blew the exhaust hose- bought a new one off big raider- in the mail now.

I found no spark on the center and pto cylinders. This thing had been running great until it was ran low on fuel and clogged the carbs. I cleaned them, but one n/s got stuck open and flooded the motor- hence the backfire. I pulled all the plugs and turned it over for a while to get the fuel out.

Did I burn out a CDI or something by cranking it w/o the plugs grounded???
    Or is it more likely something in the stator area? got a good amount of water in the hull last ride.

Any help on where to start and how to test (have a MM) would be greatly appreciated. If I ground the plug for the mag cylinder I have good spark, but not at either of the other 2 plugs.
    Last edited by fboncore; 09-10-2008 at 10:19 PM.

+1
    In the How-to section there are Service Manuals, in the 1100 one there are charts for how to check the coils and stator pickup coils. I've worked on a couple of 1100's where there was a broken wire in the stator pickup coil, it would come and go, and would backfire also. The wire was actually broken internally, and the outside looked fine so you had to use a meter to find it. Also, check your plug wire caps, as they sometimes come unscrewed, as well as the plug wires themselves sometimes break down inside the wire between the plug cap and the coil. There are resistance checks in the book for that too. Good lick

well my multimeter is shot. Is there any way to trace the problem w/o one?

you will need a multi meter even harbor freight sells them

I have a descent meter, but for some reason when I turn it on it reads khz no matter what setting its on (V). and when i switch it to continuity it beeps even if the leads are seperated. Anyone know if this could just be a bad fuse?
    If not, I'm sure I can find an older multimeter around my house somewhere.

On my gp I didn't have spark in one cylinder. turned out one of the wires on the stator fell off. Had to take the stator cover off and re-solder it up.

Figured it all out. PTO cyl lost spark after I cut back the plug wires, so I checked resistance from the black lead of the coil to the spark plug lead, and found that the wire had broken by the coil. The loss of spark on the CEN cylinder was caused by an internally broken wire to the pickup coil (wht/blue). I replaced that and all 3 cylinders have spark again. Thanks for all the help guys. Now time to rebuild the carbs.

Thread Information