Thread: '92 750 ss help

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

'92 750 ss help

Hey Now, I just got a 750 ss. Am going to take it out tomorrow. I cannot find any drain plug at the back of the hull, as all my other ski's have one here. Am I looking for something that doesnt exist?? Also, there is a pull-up knob inside the engine compartment, looks like a choke type device but apears to be in the cooling loop? What is this? The guy I got this from said something about the first time you start it your supposed to pull it. Any help would be appreciated.
    This ski is in great shape for its age, has 165 hours on it, and looks like its going to be a fun one. Thanks again.

+1
    no drain plug

Teh stopped you are talking about is a case drain. If you roll it or get a lot of gas/oil in the crank case, you can pull that and it will purge the crank case. This is a potential air leak zone, so a lot of people buy a drain cover lit to remove it (I did) Air leak causes lean run which causes piston failure.

How well was it taken care of? Serviced?

Might want to add a 1/4 can of seafoam to the tank to help clean it out. Check your fuel and oil lines and make sure they are not dry and brittle. Check you oil lines for bubbles, and make sure that you are using oil while riding

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    no drain plug

Really? No way to drain the hull? I have the same ski but a '94, fortunately they added a drain by then. It's fairly easy to add one. I'd block off that crank case drain set up and the oil injection too.

John

+1
    I bought a '93 and was shocked to realize it didn't have a drain plug. But I'm putting one in! I drilled a hole in the back and worked a piece of 1/2" PVC through to the bulkhead. I drilled another hole there for the tube to come into the engine compartment. The rear of the 'Ski is filled with foam. It was a pretty good job to get the tube in there, kept pulling out chunks of foam, and I hit the trim cable. I put a bevel on the end of the tube, and bent it a little and finally got it through. Sealed the engine end with 3M 5200, and will install a drain plug w/ 5200 on the back when I finish some glass work on it.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

Thanks.... and now..

So, I got ahold of a block off piece for that crank deal. Gonna get rid of that this week. Took it out yesterday for the first time. Lotsa fun but... It doesnt hook up well at all. I havent looked underneath but it probably has the stock alum. imp. Anyone have suggestions?? Also, it ran great for 3-3-1/2 hours, then started bogging at high rpm. Actually died a few times. Starts right up and idles good though. Runs decent at 50% throttle. High setting on carb?? Also, it barely had any water in it, so little I'm not going to bother with a drain until... Am going to change the intake set up next week. Once I get this thing to hook-up good, and a few mods, should be fun. Cavitates like a cavitator right now. Thanks for any and all info anyone has on this model. I dont know squat on the history of this particular beast. So I will rideit and enjoy and fix somethings this winter. Have about 4-6 weeks of riding weather left out here. WOOOOHOOO!!
    Last edited by rlovebk; 09-13-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot somethin.

Take the carb off and clean it out. Mine ran good for the first hour or so but then it started to die out but would idle fine. I found a bunch of shit stuck in the carb from it sitting for several years. Ever since I cleaned it out its been fine.

John

Check the pump shoe. On mine the shoe is missing some pieces. They are plastic and brittle from what I can tell.

You shouldnt really need a drain plug it has built in bilge system that works off your pump(they are nice to have though). These skis are known for cavitating. You can get yourself an intake grate or modify your stock one by cutting out the center bar. I wouldnt stick a ton of money in this ski your not going to get much performance out of it. Oil injection blockoff and case drain block off. Try to find a stainless impeller for a stock 750 or you wont be able to turn any rpms with it.

Thread Information