+1

New to Forum. New to PWC. Just had twins!

Hello. I found this forum while looking for user and service manuals for some Yamaha Waverunners that I just picked up in trade for some software development work.

I'm new to PWCs, in all ways. Rode one once in '07 and it was awesome. I'm in Delaware and while I'm new to PWCs, I'm very familiar with the water. I've been saltwater boating and fishing for 31 years and I'm 35 years old.

I read some messages earlier and found the service and user manuals very helpful, but I am trying to learn about the PWCs I got. I'll be getting the title in a few weeks or so, so I don't know much about them.

I have a 1200XL and a 1200XLT. I'd like to know the year for each one, or how to find the years.

They seem to be in fairly good condition. I know that the 1200XLT runs fine and just needs a battery. Not sure what's up w/ the 1200XL, but I think it's probably minor, also. Not sure of hours either as both batteries are dead.

I'll probably be asking some questions in the future. I'm going to learn the basics and then start learning the mechanicals of these guys. I'm pretty good @ wrenching cars and other small engines, so I'm kind of excited to tinker with these!

I'd like to know what to inspect first on these guys. I'm thinking that if I look @ a "used PWC buyer's guide" it will help point me to a starting point. The previous owner was a hands-off kinda person who has had them "serviced" by a shop, so I don't expect them to be too bad under the skin.

Thanks again for the info you guys post here. Forums are the people that post and this one looks full awesome stuff.

Attached are some pics I snapped of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	93948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	93955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	93956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	93957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	93958  
    Last edited by D-Sect; 09-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

I am sure you will receive plenty of Yamaha specific information.

Regarding the batteries;
    Unless you will ride your machines year round, you should consider a battery maintainer.

The best battery type for PWC is the factory sealed AGM. I like the Deka batteries, made by East-Penn.

The model year of each PWC should be the last two digits of the HIN number on the metal plate on the rear deck. Make sure these number plates are original, and the numbers must match the legal paperwork.

I have attached a document outlining some basic checks and things to watch for when purchasing a used PWC. Not everything will apply to your situation, but it should get you started.

Winterizing your PWC document also attached.

Do pay attention to the carbs, and the rest of the fuel system. 2-stroke engines will run with poor fuel delivery, but you risk unexpected and sometimes rapid engine damage.

Be sure your carburetors are delivering all the fuel the engine needs to proper operation. Sometimes all it takes is a good carb cleaning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

+1
    welcome to the forum !!

+1
    Battery-wise, these gals came with East Penn Deka "Sea Mate" ETX16L batteries. They both read zero VDC across the terminals.

I've read a few things, but I can't find anything that lets me know if they are salvageable via recharging.

I checked the plates on the back for the dates. The 1200XLT is a 2001 and the 1200Xl is a 1998.

Those 2 docs posted above are awesome. Very useful stuff! Apparently, these gals are in pretty good shape, but time will tell.

Let me please ask a newbie question about the XLT: When I popped the hood to check the engine, I'd noticed that it has a pretty elaborate exhaust system. After the maniforld, it goes into some real heavy cast tubing that snakes all over before. I'd expected to see something more like a motorcycle exhaust.

What role does that exhaust system play on these things? Is it more than just exhaust? I know it has a cat. based on the sticker. Is that why it's so "engineered"?

Thanks again!

+1
    The exhaust is water jacked to keep the temps down under your Arse..

+1
    Arrighty.. Thanks for the info.

I spent some time reading up on this forum and found that a lot of my questions were answered. Thanks to you guys and your previous posts, I have 2 working waverunners.

The 01 XLT1200 was no prob, actually. It needed a battery so I started there. Picked up 2 of those East Penn Deka AGM batteries @ a local "battery warehouse". It cranked easy. I did a comp test and got ~120 psi on all three cyls. Checked spark, looked good. Checked oil flow. Was good. Pulled the choke, hit the gas and cranked and she fired nicely.

The 98 XL1200 was a little harder. Put the bat in and when I hit start, the motor just lurched. The starter obv was firing as I saw the engine torque against the mounts. I thought the thing may have been seized. I know this girl sat for 3 years, so I knew it was dry inside. I pulled the plugs and they looked ok. I read a post about non-cranking probs and one of them said to try to put some oil in the cyls and push the piston down with a dowel or something. Well.. I wanted to do a comp test asap and I didn't want to skew the test by having oil in the cyls, so I just tried moving each piston. With a little effort, they moved a bit and felt like they freed themselves.

I cranked it again and it turned, but it was def tight and grabby. Very noisey, too. I did a very quick comp test and got ~120 psi on all three cyls. Great! I then used a drinking straw to pipette some 2-stroke oil into the cyls. I let it sit for a bit and turned it over like 5 revs. I added some more oil to the cyls and waited and then cranked it. The sound changed and lost that noisy bangy sound when cranking. You could just tell that the starter turned with waaaay less effort. I added a bit more oil to the cyls and cranked it for like 5 seconds. At this time, it sounded great (at least to me!).

I checked for spark = OK, oil seemed OK. Thought I'd smell fuel, but I didn't. Checked the petcock = OK. I noticed 3 small plastic screws on the "carb cover" (not sure what you call it). I figured they were for ether blasting, or priming. I pipetted some premix into each carb and screwed them back and viola - it fired. I had to do it again but it fired and stayed up. It sounded pretty good when running. I'm not really familiar with how these things should sound, but both boats had a smooth idle.

I only ran them for 5 seconds or so. I don't have the flush hose adapter and I was worried about oHeating them. Let me ask: How long can these run "dry"?? I thought I saw 20 seconds somewhere, but I wasn't going to find out...

So, I'm planning on hooking them up to the hose and running them on the trailer for a bit. I'm not sure exatcly what to look for, but from other engine experience, I'd like to see and feel smoothness in all RPMs.

Is it OK to "bench test" these babies on the hose? Can I run them for extended periods of time? I read the stuff that told about how the water needs to be off @ starts and off before shutdown, but that's all I know.

It's pretty exciting to have 2 non-running boats fire up and pass comp tests in the first 2 hours, esp for a person who's never seen under the hood of one of these things until now.

Thanks again.. The service manuals are really crappy for these things. I'm used to stuff like Haynes, Chiltons, or Ford, Honda, Chevy service manuals. The manuals had no real troubleshooting tree in them.. That's kind of disappointing to a newbie. I think these things mechanically fall between a 2-stroke outboard motor and motorcycle engine, so they seem kinda easy to work on - although I can't fathom how to pull the engine exactly - or how to access the impeller and pump stuff.

Thanks again. Please comment on my stuff if you have any info. I want to ensure that I didn't hurt anything, but judging from everything - all seems GREEN!

Thanks all - - - Much info buried here!!

+1
    Oh yeah - The 01 XLT1200 has 101 hours and the 98 XL1200 has 139. That seems very reasonable for the age of these ladies. Is it?

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    Welcome to the PWC world, as for hours I have 250 on my 2004 XLT, still running strong.

Let me caution you on 2 things. 1, don't take them out and run them before you drain that old fuel and fill with fresh. 2, those carbs may well be gummed up, safe thing is to have them rebuilt and not have to worry about them costing you a motor. Enjoy

Thread Information