08 RXT X Low voltage warning

I have an 08 RXT, it has been flashing the low voltage warning upon starting on and off for the last two weeks. It can do it several times then be "fine" for a couple starts and then it reappears. The only thing that has changed as far as electrical is I had the Depth finder installed at the 10 hour service. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas short of bringing it in to the shop? Worst case I'll wait and bring it in once its to cold to ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbles2700 View Post
    I have an 08 RXT, it has been flashing the low voltage warning upon starting on and off for the last two weeks. It can do it several times then be "fine" for a couple starts and then it reappears. The only thing that has changed as far as electrical is I had the Depth finder installed at the 10 hour service. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas short of bringing it in to the shop? Worst case I'll wait and bring it in once its to cold to ride.
    , you need to charge your battery. Put in on a trickle charger.

Mine does this also. I will randomly get low battery warning. Usually, after multiple quick start/stops, or when I first power it on for the weekend... But It seems to happen randomly. I think the low battery warning is too sensitive, or the battery too small, because any current draw seems to set it off. I leave my ski on a trickle charger occasionally, this is about the only time I can be sure to not see the 12v low warning.

+1
    Check the water level in your battery. Low water will cause this problem.

With the ski running on the hose check the voltage between the battery posts with a volt meter. You should see 13.5-13.8. If it is not then the rectifier is probably bad and not putting charge into the battery while riding. When riding all the ski's electrical is powered by the battery, regardless of how much is going back into the battery with the magnito. If it is the reg then take it to the dealer for warranty replacement.

+1
    I got that once for a brief second on my readout(08 215 GTX,43 hrs) and I also had a oem depth finder installed....popped up once after a wot run....

fyi: i use a tickle charger about once a week....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    I got that once for a brief second on my readout(08 215 GTX,43 hrs) and I also had a oem depth finder installed....popped up once after a wot run....

fyi: i use a tickle charger about once a week....
    We recommend the 'Battery Tender' charger and leave connected all the time the ski is out of the water. No more battery issues...

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbles2700 View Post
    I have this constantly on my ski. Just replaced the motor recently and since then I have the warning every time the ski is running. At first it would go away for a while after I throttled up - now it's constant, even AFTER I have FULLY desulfated (reconditioned) a battery and charged it again, so I will tend to disagree with the 'battery charge' idea listed above. It happened Saturday on a brand new battery that had never been used before...

I had two STUD mechanics look at mine over the weekend and the consensus seemed to be either the voltage regulator or the stator (spelling) which controls power going back to the battery to charge during operation. If either isn't working correctly, then the battery won't get the power it needs to keep running. As long as the ski is running, you will be fine - if you lose charge throughout the day, then you might have problems starting it again if you shut it off.

I haven't measured voltage yet at the battery while running, planning to do that today.

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for. I put it on a trickle charger the other day and took it out yesterday, no problem but it was only restarted once. I plan on going out again next week if its nice enough, will check the rectifier issue when i clan it up.

Thread Information