First ride/impression 2005 GP1300R

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 2005 GP1300R with 62 hours on it for a killer deal. I took it out and noticed some things about it right away. First off, I can EASILY do 360's, when I turn the jet ski hard to the left or right instead of it biting the water I just spin almost all the way around. Does stepping the sponsons help this? I believe you can step the stock sponsons right?

Also, I noticed a little hesitation.. lets say I was going 5MPH and not even quarter throttle, if I punched it, the ski would hesitate for a second and then go good once it planed. Even during the holeshot...if I punched it out of the hole it would hesitate for second or less and then go. I am not sure what that is...I am thinking some cavitation because there is NO hesitation if I am going like 25-30MPH and I gradually full throttle the ski, I think thats because its already planed and caviation is not showing up.

Also, I think I am experience some major cavitation, if I am stopped in the water and I floor it to do a holeshot the motor redlines as I am coming out of the hole! It is an DOG out of the hole, it feels like I am going no where. After I hookup and plane its fine...

Full throttle seems to be good, even though I think the MPH may be down a little bit, I dreamometer only said like 66-68MPH! I was kind of like WTF because I rode a 2003 GP1300R and I got it up to like 71-72 on the dreamometer consistently.

I need to get this thing faster, better holeshot and handling better.. Also, guys do the noses on these yami's tend to go under the water a little bit? Whenever I am slowing down and approaching stopping the front end of my ski is like submerged for a second! I dont know if this is normal or what? Like when it floats its not in the water but when im slowing down it does.
    Last edited by CT1300R; 09-11-2008 at 10:51 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CT1300R View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 2005 GP1300R with 62 hours on it for a killer deal. I took it out and noticed some things about it right away. First off, I can EASILY do 360's, when I turn the jet ski hard to the left or right instead of it biting the water I just spin almost all the way around. Does stepping the sponsons help this? I believe you can step the stock sponsons right?
    Definately step them sponsons. An aftermarket intake grate helps also.

Also, I noticed a little hesitation.. lets say I was going 5MPH and not even quarter throttle, if I punched it, the ski would hesitate for a second and then go good once it planed. Even during the holeshot...if I punched it out of the hole it would hesitate for second or less and then go. I am not sure what that is...I am thinking some cavitation because there is NO hesitation if I am going like 25-30MPH and I gradually full throttle the ski, I think thats because its already planed and caviation is not showing up.
    Could be some cavitation, but you also have to clear the waterbox when accelerating at lower speeds. Jetworks and sealing the pump shoe helps this.

Also, I think I am experience some major cavitation, if I am stopped in the water and I floor it to do a holeshot the motor redlines as I am coming out of the hole! It is an DOG out of the hole, it feels like I am going no where. After I hookup and plane its fine...
    Check the impeller liner for wear.

Full throttle seems to be good, even though I think the MPH may be down a little bit, I dreamometer only said like 66-68MPH! I was kind of like WTF because I rode a 2003 GP1300R and I got it up to like 71-72 on the dreamometer consistently.
    A bad/worn impeller and/or liner can cause a loss in speed

I need to get this thing faster, better holeshot and handling better.. Also, guys do the noses on these yami's tend to go under the water a little bit? Whenever I am slowing down and approaching stopping the front end of my ski is like submerged for a second! I dont know if this is normal or what? Like when it floats its not in the water but when im slowing down it does.
    Pretty common if you run around on a full tank of fuel.
    Welcome

Now you see why everyone recommends stepping the sponsons, a PPK and sealing the pump shoe, aftermarket intake grate, Jetworks mod... and of course the tunnel reinforcement is necessary preventative maintanence.

+1
    welcome to the forum CT

+1

Quote Originally Posted by CT1300R View Post
    Hey guys,

I am assuming the ski is stock or very close to it. This is pretty common with any jetski, you really turn hard and your gonna 360 it. This can be helped with an aftermarket rideplate such as Riva or R&D and then stepping the sponsons will help with porpusing when applying more angle to your ride plate.

See below

You are describing a stock GP1300R to the tee. It is a dog out of the hole and has some major cavitation... IN THE STOCK FORM THAT IS. I would suggest the following(Everyone here will agree with this!). Pump plug kit, seal the pump shoe to the hull(seach this site and do it right the first time!), GP1200R intake grate ( I like Riva). This is for increased hook up and incredibly less cavitation and in result some better holeshot. If this still isn't the holeshot you are looking for then I would suggest the jetworks mod, and leo's holeshot kit.

Get a GPS, and dont ever look at the dreamometer again!

I need to get this thing faster, better holeshot and handling better.

Do some searches and spend countless hours reading up on this site and your ski will fly, with great hook up, great holeshot, and make you very happy!

. Also, guys do the noses on these yami's tend to go under the water a little bit? Whenever I am slowing down and approaching stopping the front end of my ski is like submerged for a second! I dont know if this is normal or what? Like when it floats its not in the water but when im slowing down it does.

That sounds normal to me. It is a "Small" ski compared to todays standards.

And with these mods please reinforce the pump tunnel. And you will have to replace the cat sooner or later with a D Plate.

Good Luck!!!

+1
    Rich you beat me to it, once again. I still want some WFO stickers to make my ski faster!!! You're the man. Well at least our answers are the same!!!

+1
    Hey CT Welcome to the Hulk..

Look in the Projects section and the FAQ's..

I will be riding tomorrow launching in Derby around 12:00 if you want to join us..

Order up the parts and we will get it done. I have some stuff that you can try before you buy..

Guys thanks for all of you for responding and taking your time explain things! I really appreciate it. It makes me feel a lot better knowing all this stuff is normal. Thanks again for the welcome!

I have the same ski. Can anyone look at my post about my GPR taking on too much water? Also, my front end dives in the water when slowing down, so I see it's not just me. All of these mods, holeshot, grate, etc. sound interesting, but I have no clue. I'm very new to jetski's. Thinking of getting rid of my GPR because I really would like a friendly 2 seater and this is not that due to my taking on too much water problem. It does scream though. On flat lakes I've had it to 73. What is the top end of this ski if you do some of these mods? What kind of price tag is involved? I am slightly mechanically inclined to it seems much of this work may be out of my reach?

Thread Information