new kawi 250x oil leak!!!

Will someone help with this problem?!? I have 7, yes 7 hours on my new kawi. The first two rides the performance was awesome but last ride the low oil light came on. Upon returning to the shore to check the level, it was not even reading on the dipstick! Oil level was checked always in advance of rides. Returned to shore and filled with two liters of oil to normal level. Ran for another half hour. Returned to flush the motor of salt and it would not start!!! Checked oil again and there was none. Upon inspection of engine compartment, oil was in bottom pooled under the engine. I am bringing to the dealer tomorrow but am pretty dissapointed with this. Any ideas on what this is from?? Please help.

Looks like there must be an obvious leak on the engine. Have you noticed any metallic debris at the end of the dip stick when checking the oil level?
    If yes, most likely engine damaged.
    If no, "maybe" engine is OK.

Possibly leaking between the oil pan and the engine or the loose elbow fitting there?

If the leak can't be easily located, the engine has to come out.

+1
    Did you roll your ski over at all. If so i would suspect that is your problem. If not then you have a leak in the pan or a gasket. Those are my ideas

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    Did you roll your ski over at all. If so i would suspect that is your problem. If not then you have a leak in the pan or a gasket. Those are my ideas
    thinking someone dropped a nut or screw in the hull, it got under the motor and caused a hole in the pain......

did not roll sk over and was following the proper break in procedure suggested by dealer. really dissapointed with the attitude of the dealer. no given timeframes on when to expect the ski back. i hope thay get to the bottom of this. the oil looks clean with no metal and the engine was running well. like I say....only 7 hours!!!

Seen this problem before here. Check to see if oil filter is on tight, had one ultra here with it loose and tightened was good to go!!

yes it could be as simple as a loose filter and sit at the dealer's for weeks before anyone checks it. I would at least check that yourself before taking it in unless your dealer will at least ck that while you wait. 15 minute job to ck.

Get a manual, sooner or later you will need it. Being able to troubleshoot some minor things may save you down time.

Quote Originally Posted by grnkawi View Post
    really dissapointed with the attitude of the dealer

the oil looks clean with no metal and the engine was running well. like I say....only 7 hours!!!
    Ski dealer folks are not as professional as car dealers as you have learned.

Think positively - it's better to find the problem now THAN when the warranty is over. And it sounds like there is no permanent damage. Just shortened riding season.

Thread Information