Thread: 97 GSX Problems

97 GSX Problems

Need help on my buddies 97 gsx, he got it from some1 who owed him money, he couldnt come up with the money so gave him ski instead. It only has 59hrs on it, and has been sitting for 3yrs. It has vortex flame arrestors on it, and where the choke should be it has a primer to inject fuel in the carbs. I took the carbs off, tore them down and rebuilt them, drained old fuel out, it has spark, starts up and spits and sputters for about 5-10seconds, then cuts off. I checked the plugs and they have small oil coating on them. Also when I start it there is some smoke that comes out of the hull. And sometimes it will pop when you crank it and shoots water out of the exhaust. What else can I do and look for that I havent already ??

If it sat for that long, i would pull the head or rave valves and check that the cylinders didn't rust up. If it sat with any water in it, you are going to have cb shaft bearing and crank bearing issues.

Thanks for the reply !! That does make sense, when we first tryed to get it running the plugs had water on them, and was like nasty anti-seeze looking oil/water mix on the plugs, but eventually cleaned up after changing fuel. Thats when I decided to pull the carbs and rebuild them, and to get rid of the fuel that was in the tank. Theres not alot of fuel in it now, maybe 2-3gals fresh fuel, but the front fuel filter is got fuel in there, so I would'nt imagine that it would have to be full ?? Maybe dumb question, but how do I check the raves ? and get them apart ?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Is this the same ski you've been posting about the last few months?

Find out where the smoke is coming from, as an exhaust leak will cause the symptoms you describe. You will never get smoke in the hull unless there is a leak.

No, still working on that one, still surges at topend got any suggestions on that one, I'm all ears. This one is a gsx 782, and has been sitting for awhile and dosen't want to run, (check beginning thread). I got to look into the raves I guess tomorrow, but the thing should run even if it has a cracked pipe ? maybe I'm wrong there. jets were clogged but cleaned the carbs real good, and rebuilt them, and starts but spits and sputters for about 5-10seconds and shuts off, then dosen't want to start back up, after that ??? So anyway I'm getting a little burnt out on working on the damn things , dealerships around here wont touch anything older than a 2000 model year.

You did change the fuel filter right? I've seen fuel gel up pretty bad from sitting a few years- def enough to clog a filter. If you haven't, bypass the filter and see if it will run. I'd change the plugs out too. Worth a shot for $2 a piece, I had a 787 that would sputter b/c one of the plugs was arcing straight down the insulator. Cut back the wires too.

However, I'd suggest spraying some oil down the cylinders and cranking it over for a while to make sure there's no moisture in the motor- that would definitely cause it to foul plugs and die. Then crank it w/ the throttle wide open till u smell gas, put in fresh plugs and see if it runs.

Try to get a look at the crank. If there is any rust at all, replace it. No matter how well you clean it, if it ever had any rust by the rod bearings, it's gunna go within a few hours. I blew a brand new top end by running a crank that sat w/ water in the cases for one night.

Raves are very straight forward. Pull back the metal clips and take the black caps off. Be careful not to lose the spring thats under the cap. Unscrew the black plastic part w/ the bellows attached, and then you can get to the 2 allen head bolts. Unscrew them and pull the rave out. Remove the carbon w/ carb or brake cleaner. I put a light coat of oil on them afterwards then reinstall. Check the bellows for pinholes too.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra150JCT View Post
    No, still working on that one, still surges at topend got any suggestions on that one, I'm all ears. This one is a gsx 782, and has been sitting for awhile and dosen't want to run, (check beginning thread). I got to look into the raves I guess tomorrow, but the thing should run even if it has a cracked pipe ? maybe I'm wrong there. jets were clogged but cleaned the carbs real good, and rebuilt them, and starts but spits and sputters for about 5-10seconds and shuts off, then dosen't want to start back up, after that ??? So anyway I'm getting a little burnt out on working on the damn things , dealerships around here wont touch anything older than a 2000 model year.
    Two strokes use the pipe/expansion chamber to extract spent gasses in the cylinder. If this chamber is breached, it will not scavange properly. So it won't run properly either. If it is a coupler between the waterbox and pipe, this is not as big of deal as the scavenging process is not interrupted. Are the spark plugs wet when restarting after the first time when it fails to restart?

On the other surging ski check the fuel system cleaning thread at the top. The last post a guy posted pics of his fuel valve on a 2000 GTX. I can't remember all the details of your problem but surging is either the fuel pump or a restriction in the fuel system somewhere.

Thread Information