+1

1996 SL 900 Dome Question

So we are rebuilding a 1996 SL900 this weekend and we have all the parts together but noticed we dont have any head rings?? They are on every other domestic engine I have seen but sure enough they aren't even on the parts list for a 1996 SL 900... Anybody know the story behind this or why they weren't on this years model????

Pictures below of parts diagrams...you'll see its on the 1997 model, but not the 96...just want to confirm it is not a mistake and get any input as to why.

wait...why the heck cant I post an attachment???? Oh well.. part number 5241944 on the 1997.

96 sl900

Holy sh%*
    I rebuilt mine without,now im not sure if thats right either or if i should continue running it, i've only had it out a few times since the rebuild
    and just blew the pto piston,but was told it was due to dirty carbs.
    What curious to me is, i found rust marks between the cylinder & head
    leading straight through to piston could this be the cause or contribute to the failure?
    Hope we get response soon as im in the process of replacing the piston
    as i write this.

+1
    That stainless ring acts more like a washer between the bolt and the head.From what I noticed it does not apply any clamping in between the bolts.The aluminum and stainless will expand at different rates as they warm up,a hex shaped bolt head would dig into the aluminum.

The 96 and 97 also have 2 different part numbers for the bolts originally. Both were replaced by the same part #. I would imagine it has a big washer type bolt head.
    If you don't have the ring5242021 for the 74.5mm 900 (the # you have is for the 81mm 1050) I would use a thin washer

Thanks for the input casey, but I/we were refering to the gasket between
    the head and cylinder #8 in babbits parts list, But your right about the part # .
    Im wondering if there was a mistake made in the 96 diagram and no one ever bothered to correct it.

bump

Are you talking about the head gasket? If you see rust ANYWHERE on a ski its bad news...

If you were getting water into the cyl, thats why it smoked. The heads have orings as gaskets. Theres a ridge in the top of the cyl for it. Is there one there? Whats the compression look like?

i dont think that this is a problem because my 1996 slt 700 doesnt have that part either. i was looking at a few different models of the 900 and urs seems to be the only one out of that model without it.i think that as long as u have the o rings in there, there wont be a problem. as for scorps piston blowing... the guy who told u was probly right, dirt may have gotten in and caused scratches and then moisture sets in and causes rust... as ZOMGVTEK said once there is rust there are going to be problems.
    Last edited by bossd; 09-17-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more info

Are you talking about the head gasket? If you see rust ANYWHERE on a ski its bad news...

If you were getting water into the cyl, thats why it smoked. The heads have orings as gaskets. Theres a ridge in the top of the cyl for it. Is there one there? Whats the compression look like?

Yes the head gasket, and yes the o rings are there (140psi)
    But there seems to be a full head gasket that goes there as shown in the
    97 models along with the o rings... so the question remains: is it either
    rings or gasket? or both?

+1
    scorp, item #8 is not a gasket and your engine only assembles with O rings between the dome and cylinder.
    The plate #8 sits on top of the dome and from what I remember is designed to evenly distribute pressure on top of the head once torqued. Some guys/gals use them, some don't. I like to use them so they don't mar the aluminum contact area where the head bolt mates to the dome.

Thank you ph2o,
    Clear and to the point.

Thread Information