Results 1 to 10 of 25
Thread: How to: Adding VTS to an RXT
09-13-2008, 05:34 PM #1
How to: Adding VTS to an RXT
First I have to thank my best friend Brett Willey at JetTrendz (JetSki shop in New Port Richey, FL 727-844-5361) who helped me get everything wired up corectly, helped transfer most of the RXP parts to my RXT, and modified (cut and welded) the Riva extension rod to fit.
I also have to thank hydrojunkie 631-767-9658 who worked with me on getting me all the required parts from an RXP to make this modification happen.
Other people that I want to thank from the forum that pointed me in the right direction are waverider and tommybonilla.
Since I could not find a how to add VTS to an RXT I thought I would give some tips and pointers on my install to help others. I used the wire harness from an RXP to keep it simple. You can also buy the female wire pins for the MPEM and run your own wires.
- VTS housing/motor.
- RXP trim ring and required pump hardware (bushings nuts bolts). We just used the whole setup from the RXP but used my Riva nozzle and welded the top and bottom holes closed since they are no longer needed with the VTS.
- RXP wire harness with all VTS connectors
- RXP VTS switch.
- RXP start/stop and VTS switch handle bar housing.
- Riva extension rod. Needs to be shortened by 2 inches.
- I have a total of $295 in my project, but I was looking for about a month and just lucked out. I still may need to buy a new sitch since the one I have does not work with the RXP/RXT start stop switch housing which will be about $70.
- First remove the whole pump.
- Drill the hole in the plastic where the VTS goes through. This area is thin and does not take much to drill the hole. I would suggest drilling it and opening it little by little. Mine is a little bigger than it needed to be but is ok.
- Install the VTS housing. Silicone the VTS inside where it meets the hull. Silicone the nut that screws on inside the pump area.
- Remove RXT wire harness. (Since I was using a wire harness from an RXP we laid them both side by side to compare them and found the RXT wires for the gauges were quite a bit longer and the voltage regulator wires were a few more inches longer on the RXT)
- Install RXP wire harness and make the required modifications to make the wires for the gauges longer.
- Relocate the voltage regulator closer to the MPEM because the RXP wires are a little shorter. We mounted it on the steering brace.
- Install the VTS switch on the hadle bars. Be sure it is the single switch with two buttons to fit in your start/stop housing
- Install RXP trim ring and hardware on your pump.
- Cut 2 inches out of your Riva VTS extension rod, weld it back together, and install it.
- Go to local SeaDoo dealer and have the VTS activated.
- Go out and adjust accordingly and have fun!
Last edited by Gus13letter; 09-16-2008 at 08:18 PM.
09-13-2008, 10:47 PM #2
Awesome Job Bud. Awesome Post. This Should Be Stickied
09-14-2008, 05:09 PM #3
Went out and tested the ski today. VTS definately lets you holeshot very well keeping the nose planted. With the nose down the ski corners unbelievably! When you cut the steering you better hang on cause she is turning. However I lost 3+ MPH on top speed. I am thinking the VTS rod is too long not letting the nose come out of the water enough. Right now the VTS rod is 5 3/4 inches long from center hole to center hole. I am thinking to cut another 1/4 inch out of the VTS rod. I will keep you posted so everyone knows the exact length needed.
Last edited by Gus13letter; 09-14-2008 at 06:17 PM.
09-14-2008, 05:24 PM #4
Nice write up..Im gonna move this to the "How to Section"
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM #5
09-15-2008, 08:20 PM #6
My friend Brett cut a 3/8" section out of the VTS rod and welded it back up. The pump is definately pointing higher up. Now I have more adjustability and just have to find the sweet spot. Here are a couple of pics. First one is trimmed all the way down, second one is trimmed all the way up. From the looks of it I have to trim it down a little. Once I find the sweet spot I will post the best length I found and update the first post with the info.
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM #7
Im currently working out how exactly im going to add this to my GTX
Not wanting to swap harnesses so will be trying to add the wires.
Anyone have experience with adding it to an 08+? eg no MPEM
05-24-2012, 01:25 AM #8
- Join Date
- May 2012
does anyone know how to add vts to an 03 gtx?
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM #9
thinking about doing this...
can you use the stock RXP VTS rod?? will it still need to be cut and shortened?
also... which RXP harness do I need??? the engine harness or the main wiring harness?
Last edited by Tbranella; 03-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM #10
- Join Date
- Jun 2008
- GREECE ATHENS , NAXOS
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By sea-one in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 1Last Post: 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM
By Helinut in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 5Last Post: 07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
By Gus13letter in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 3Last Post: 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
By lawracing in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 10Last Post: 07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
By RXTeaser07 in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 1Last Post: 04-01-2008, 09:06 AM