Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 GP1300R Exhaust overheating, Help!!? NEWBIE!!

Hi All,

Im a new addition to the jetski world, and forum. I recently just bought a 2004 gp1300.
    I took it out the first time a few weeks ago, and it ran sweet.. Had a BALL! So Fast..

I took it out again yesterday, and after about 10mins the Exhaust overheating light came on.. I bought it back into the marina to check it out. Nothing obvious.. Started it up again, nothing.. Then the alarm sounded on again, so i bought it in and took it out. I thought water might not be flowing through, but are pissers were squirting!

So i took it home and flushed it out. it came on again!

Can anyone please help me? What would be the problem, and what should I do?

Iv heard stuff about removing the cat con with a D-Plate..
    What does that do? And do i need to do it?

Cheers Heaps!!

+1
    Sounds like its the cat-con.Get a D plate.

Are you sure its the exhaust warning light? which symbol is it? i think i have had every electrical warning light on in my 04 so i might be able to help. has the cat been removed? if not what hours are on the ski? also what do you think it has been used for ie lakes, wave jumping, towing toys i know they can be used for all of these but what do you think it would have been used for mostly?

Thanks for the replies..

Yea im pretty sure it was the exhaust warning light. I checked the manual when i got it back home. Symbol was an exhaust with heat lines above it..

The ski has 98 hours on it. The cat is still in. And im not 100% sure what it was used for, mainly ocean and lakes i think. It doesnt have a tow hook on it so im guessing it wasnt used for towing.

What does changing to a D-Plate do? Is that cool to do? And how much are you roughly looking at to change? Im from Australia..

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Sounds like its the cat-con.Get a D plate.
    + 1

I would say its your cat aswell then mate as they usually fail around 70hours but they usually would lose power first. the only difference that the D-plate makes is that the temperature under the seat is alot less dont know if it does much else . Has the ski had the recall done for the accelerator cable? if not take it to a yamaha dealer and they should remove the cat fairly cheaply and put the d-plate in for you.

Accelerator cable? Did they get recalled? Im not to sure if it has.. How can i tell?

So removing the cat and putting in a d plate reduces the temperature of the exhaust/engine? so thats better right?

Could it be anything worse then the cat? Hoping not!!

Cheers

every 1300r is under the recall from 03-08 i think every dealer has a record of what skis have been done and which havent so if you call your local dealer they should be able to tell you.(dont know if you can tell if it is done or not just by looking). I have been told it is a good thing getting the d-plate fitted for temperature purposes. If thats not your fault its the electrics

Ill look into it about the Acc cable and d plate.

So if i change to a d-plate and still have the problem, could be a sensor u think?
    When i take it to a dealer, they plug a computer in yea, which can tell straight away whats the problem?

sweet man, thanks for ya help!

yea its just like a car man plug it in and check. have you tryed the self diagnostics to see if that gives you any codes? holding the button in on the dash for 10seconds??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information