Thread: Prop Question

Prop Question

I just purchased a used RR wheel and I have a question for you guys. With my current mods (see sig), what would be the best impeller to run with this wheel my current Solas 14-19R or a Solas 15-20R.

Lets say everything being equal, meaning both impellers are stock and untouched, which impeller would be best to work with?

I know that I would get better acceleration with the 14-19R and better top end with the 15-20R, but I am not sure if adding this wheel will cause to much cavitation with my current prop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blowbyu View Post
    I just purchased a used RR wheel and I have a question for you guys. With my current mods (see sig), what would be the best impeller to run with this wheel my current Solas 14-19R or a Solas 15-20R.

Lets say everything being equal, meaning both impellers are stock and untouched, which impeller would be best to work with?

I know that I would get better acceleration with the 14-19R and better top end with the 15-20R, but I am not sure if adding this wheel will cause to much cavitation with my current prop.
    For the mods listed in your sig and the new RR wheel the 14/19 would be the better choice...

Your RPM's are low , with those the 14/19 is the prop.
    Get your RPM's up plus the RR wheel and you should want the 15/20.

The RR wheel will raise the RPM's but your still missing some and dont think the wheel alone will get you where you need to be to turn the 15/20

+1
    With this setup a 15/20 is to tall of a prop..He should be able to turn it but he will lose his hole shot..My wifes ski is running the same setup as he is about to do and is running a solid 72.5 with the 14/19...Excellant hole shot and strong all the way to 8120..The RR wheel will pick your RPMs up..They might even be a tad above 8100..

Quote Originally Posted by NCRXP View Post
    Your RPM's are low , with those the 14/19 is the prop.
    Get your RPM's up plus the RR wheel and you should want the 15/20.

The RR wheel will raise the RPM's but your still missing some and dont think the wheel alone will get you where you need to be to turn the 15/20

Right now in the Texas heat the best RPM's I can pull are 7760. The prop I currently have was purchased used. With that being said I am sure the prop has been pitched on the trailing edge. (Even though the seller stated to be untouched.)

When I had my stock prop in I was pulling [email protected] last March.

The reason I purchased the RR was to get my RPM's back up. I assume I should get a least 200 RPM's out of the wheel. And then I will tweak the prop to get 8100.
    Last edited by blowbyu; 09-13-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks for the info guys. Staying with the 14-19R.

TTT

+1
    I would leave the 14/19 impeller and send it to be repitch with the current mods that you have know, if you install an external IC then you can swap the impeller for the 15/20R. adding the 15/20 with the mod that you have right know will lower your RPM.

After installing the RR high boost wheel I increased my RPM's by almost 300 (was 7740~7760) here are my results:

Air temps 90-92F
    Water temps 85F

Peak RPMs of 8020
    Full tank minus 2 bars.
    2 up
    Trim = One click above neutral.

Did not get to test much as I had my wife with me and 2 hours into riding I felt a bad vibration. Was worried that the nut on the RR high boost wheel had busted loose or something so I brought her in. Could not find anything in the prop so I left the lake and came home. Once home I inspected further I found that I sucked up some type of rope like material in the prop.

I did not have a GPS with me but the ski pulled much harder(night and day diff) and if I had to guess the top speed would be between 73-74MPH.

Cant wait to take her again and ride one up.

Thread Information