Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jet Ski Tinker

msx 150 get fault light at 6200 rpm

Hi I’m new to the forum and have done a lot of reading on the msx 150. I have 2004 msx 150 new to me. Went out with my Ski today and I get fault light at 6200 rpm. I turn off the motor and wait 30 sec and can startup ski , it dose self check and light go’s out and will run fine as long as I don’t go over 6200 rpm. I can run this way all day long with no fault light. When I try to take it above 6200 rpm I hear the turbo unload with puff sound and light comes on. I have checked all the hose’s for tightness and all are good. Checked sensor’s on both intake and after cooler and they are dry. I have tried to rest the ECU by unplugging the ECU main connector and tried again and got the same results. I have inferred temp gun and engine is at 148 deg at valve cover. Oil return line is about the same. Checked after cooler outside temp about 115 deg. Running oil level at the add mark line on the dip stick. Motor seams to run fine at the lower rpm. Waste gate moves free about 5/8” movement. Could this be a sensor problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You have been doing some homework - good stuff.

Since you know about the waste gate arm getting stiff, one of the others members may be able to say whether 5/8" motion is enough.

Do you have a Polaris dealer available, should you need to read the ECU trouble codes?

Jet Ski Tinker

Waste gate movement

No dealers that I know of. Is the exhaust manifold hard to get of this ski?
    Or if I unhook the waste gate linkage do you think the arm will move more then 5/8” ?

Hurricane Ally aka Polk county, Auburndale Florida.
    I had a similar problem back in January or so, if you search you will find the thread.

Anyway I ended up having mine worked on at a dealer, they replaced 3 different sensors as they couldn't find the actual problem, after replacing the sensors the problem cleared up.

This is a little drastic but it is what finally fixed mine. Best of luck....

Jet Ski Tinker

Sensors

Do you know what the 3 sensors that was replaced?

Thanks

Jet Ski Tinker
    Do you know what the 3 different sensors are?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
    Or if I unhook the waste gate linkage do you think the arm will move more then 5/8” ?
    Definitely more than 5/8"...and it needs to move free enough for the spring loaded baffle to return it to full boast, without any assistance.

A 'stuck' waste gate usually restricts the engine to around 4800. But one that moves partially, then hits resistance, can set the rpm limits to the range you are seeing. I would suggest removing the baffle rod, and working the waste gate lever from one extreme to the other.

There is the possibility that the turbo valve (part #0451349) has not been replaced with the upgraded one...the newer one is attached to a stainless bracket on the engine head. If you have the older one, then I have a good upgraded one that I would part with.

Jet Ski Tinker
    I have removed the bolt from the waste gate and it moves freely about 1” movement you can hear it hit both end stops. What is the best way to adjust the rod. I can’t find any info on this adjustment. I do have the valve that is on stainless bracket on top of the valve cover. I have been removing the intercooler and having a fun time trying to get this thing out! Looking for a saw to relieve my fun!! When I look inside the intercool pipe that comes from the turbo. I see oil that is dried brown. On the other side it is clean.fficeffice" />>>
    Could this be my problem? I think not enough air flow through the intercooler? >>
    What is the best way to move the vent tube from the oil tank so oil doesn’t get suck in the intercooler?
    Could the exhaust piping have to much back pressure. The guy before me ran in salt water.>>

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is an issue with these Weber motors, in that the oil level markings on the dipstick are misleading. Do a search on here for more details.

If the oil level is too high, oil gets pushed into the air intake, where it can cause problems, including contaminating sensors, and can sometimes also clog up the inter-cooler.

Any way to get it to a dealer that can read the trouble codes?

Mine was doing the same thing at 5800, and the trouble code suggested that the ETB (electronic throttle body) internal sensors were not agreeing. I got my hands on a used ETB from a forum member, and I have been running great ever since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information