Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

IKE has gone too far!!!

Damn hurricane has the Baltimore/Houston game cancelled. I feel lucky to be way up here away from that mess though. Godspeed to all our members affected by IKE.

Banned User
    +1
    Chicago has pretty much been DRY all summer long, which means the ground is HARD and can't soak up any water...

Here is what has hapened here....

After the rainiest day in recorded Chicago history, residents across the area faced more storms, closed roads and flooded basements Sunday as the remnants of Hurricane Ike were expected to arrive.

Saturday's rainfall, as measured at
    O'Hare International Airport, was at least 6.63 inches, breaking the city calendar-day record of 6.49 on Aug. 14, 1987. Records have been kept since 1871.

The storm, which was blamed for at least one death, also clogged dozens of roads and stranded motorists from Evanston to Schaumburg to Naperville. The Edens Expressway was closed for hours, and access to O'Hare blocked by both road and train.

An additional 2 to 4 inches of rain are forecast, compounding the damage to a waterlogged region where record flood levels are expected along the Des Plaines River. Prospect Heights officials declared a state of emergency, and Riverside residents were put on alert for possible evacuation as the river rose. Water also edged higher on the Chicago and Fox Rivers.

For the first time in six years, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District opened the sluice gates and locks near Navy Pier to flush storm water and sewage from the Chicago River system into Lake Michigan. The Wilmette gate of the North Shore Channel also opened, as it last did to accommodate severe flooding in August 2007. District officials late Saturday afternoon opened the O'Brien gate near 130th Street and Torrence Avenue for the first time in six years. Together the three gates released an estimated 4 billion gallons of water an hour, the district said.

Lake Michigan is cold enough that most bacterial and viral critters that swam out with the storm won't survive for long. Dilution also helps reduce health threats.

"All our systems are open and operating. . . . It's just a lot, a lot of water," said agency spokeswoman Jill Horist. The storms claimed at least one victim. Divers recovered the body of Alan Byrd, 28, of Rolling Meadows, who tried to swim with a friend across a flooded retention pond near Kirchoff and South New Wilke Roads in Arlington Heights. The normally shallow pond had swelled with up to 20 feet of water, said Fire Chief Glenn Ericksen.

"The retention pond is normally empty, but with all the rain, it's a new lake and it's fairly inviting," he said.

Tom Barnicle, 54, said his son-in-law Byrd, a painter, had been on a lunch break with two friends when they began to swim. Byrd had been married for five years and has two young children.

"I don't know if it was a bet or a dare," Barnicle said. "I'm surprised he would do it."

The specter of storm damage and flooded rivers continued Sunday with more rain expected throughout the day. The National Weather Service expects the remnants of Hurricane Ike will hit hardest in northwest Indiana and southern Cook County.

"Any additional rain now just doesn't help, based on what we've had," said National Weather Service meteorologist Nathan Marsili.

Between 4 and nearly 8 inches of rain drenched the Chicago area Saturday. In St. Charles, 7.5 inches of rainfall were reported.

+1
    Dam Iam glad we missed out on all that!
    We probley recieved about a 1/2 inch of rain from the outer bands of Ike and none from that storm from the Pacific that hit Kansas and Illinois.

Banned User
    +1
    What surprises me is the fact that when I bought my house in July, the ground was saturated and my sump would kick on 3-4 times day....Right now, eve with standing water just outside my back door, it is BONE DRY....

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yea, can some one tell me why I have a hurricane over my farm right now? WTF? This would be a first in Illinois. I really would like to pick some corn this year

We're getting drowned all the way up here in Michigan, damn water is leaking into the basement and my cement patio was like a built in swimming pool last night!

+1
    sorry to change topic, but right before ike hit the coast west texas was getting remiments of depression lowell from the west side of mexico.
    We (Lubbock) in west Texas recieved over 8 inches of rain in 14 hours. Set a record and flooded alot of the town.

Gas here is running about $3.69 a gallon

+1
    It could be worse, you could be a Dolphins fan!!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    OH MAN, what a difference 12 hours makes. I should NOT have said what I said...Not even 9 hours after I wrote my last post on this thread, my sump kicked in...and didn't stop! It would kick on every 8-9 seconds....My basement flooded, standing water, chit got FUGGED UP! but so did every other basement in town...

Thread Information