Throttle response....

I cleaned the entire fuel system, rebuilt the carbs, sync'ed the carbs, aligned the oil pump and replaced all the fuel lines. Tossed in some new plugs and did the 5 minute 1/4 throttle test. The plugs came out with a nice chocolate appearance so no further mixture adjustment was done.
    The throttle response is crisp when you go from idle to max throttle at a fairly rapid rate.
    The question I have is when throttle is applied at a medium or slow rate the ole GSX will accelerate smoothly until around 4.5k rpm then it takes off like a turbo has spooled. It really kicks when it hits that rpm range. Is this normal or is there something I need to do in order to smooth out the throttle response at this rpm?
    MaxDoc

+1
    normal, it is just your raves opening up. you can turn out the red caps on the raves to allow a smoother transition. i wouldn't go any further out than flush with the rave caps.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, it isn't carburetion. But they should open around 5500 instead of 4500. The red caps must be above the black edges on the RAVES. As Jay said try them flush for a smoother transition. Don't be scared to tweak them in and out a few clicks to get it like you want. You can doo no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, it isn't carburetion. But they should open around 5500 instead of 4500. The red caps must be above the black edges on the RAVES. As Jay said try them flush for a smoother transition. Don't be scared to tweak them in and out a few clicks to get it like you want. You can doo no damage.
    can turning the rave caps in or out effect top end in any way? i bought my xpl and the red caps are in about a quarter inch. is that right?

+1
    raves do not affect top end. their purpose is to give you better bottom end. adjusting the caps only determines when the raves open and how smooth the transition is between closed and open.

um this myte clean it out

This has nothing to do with your problem but i recomend using SEA-FOAM. this really does work for people. Here are some of the things it does. This stuff is about $7.50 for a 16 fl oz can.

• Cleans fuel injectors
    • Cleans carburetor jets
    • Cleans carbon
    • Stabilizes fuels
    • Upper cylinder lube
    • Removes moisture in fuel
    • De-icer<LI class=plain>Frees sticky lifters <LI class=plain>Frees sticky rings <LI class=plain>Removes moisture in oil <LI class=plain>Cleans P.C.V. systems <LI class=plain>Cleans catalytic converter odors
    • Oxygen sensor safe

Thread Information