Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Hello I need help with 1996 Polaris 1050

I have a Polaris 1050 I just bought for very cheap everthing is great with the ski except the jet pump was completely shot the bearings had burnt up in the pump, I have another parts jetski Polaris 1050 and took the Jet pump off of it and installed on the 1050 and put a battery in and motor purrs very nice so we put the ski in the water I get the ski up and running good until it gets to about 5000 rpms and around 32 mph it starts to flash red on the mfd and says its hot I have checked thermostat and jetpump to see if they were clogged both were fine does anyone have any idea whats going on? Any help would be great its a nice ski and im ready to ride!!
    Josh

have you or did you touch the motor and see it was hot? boiling hot? usually that motor will be sizzling if so. to start pull out that thermostat and check your filter/screen at the exhaust pipe for clogging

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You can find Polaris Service Manuals here.

Did you connect the black plastic cooling water tube (item 9) that runs along the side of the jet pump?

Check all the hoses for kinks or collapsed walls.
    Maker sure the exhaust cooling injection fitting 10 is not clogged, and the mesh screen on the other end is clear.

Thanks for your help

I did check thermostat and took it out and cleaned it and tested it on the stove and it worked fine I also check the exhaust outlet hose and it was also clear.

Hello

I did notice when i installed the other jet pump it had some metal adapter that was at an angle and it made the plastic pipe on the side of the jet pump not seat correctly so I put some sealent around the area where it wasnt seated correctly and also was wondering is this some performance piece that someone added because it wasnt on the other jet pump this may be the problem but im not sure if that could be it, and where is the exhaust coolant injection fitting on the manifold or the big exhaust pipe I will check that tommorrow if I can figure where this fitting is exactly,
    Josh

im talking about the inlet water fitting at the exhaust pipe. its on top of the exhaust pipe and a small 5/16 hose connects to it. take the hose off and then take that fitting out. the hole through the fitting must be clean for water flow and the steel mesh screen must be clean also. check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    have you or did you touch the motor and see it was hot? boiling hot? usually that motor will be sizzling if so. to start pull out that thermostat and check your filter/screen at the exhaust pipe for clogging

its number 8 in the diagram above that K447 posted...................

or is it number 9........................? but anyways........find that fitting and unscrew it out. i believe its a 5/8 wrench to take it out...........

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    its number 8 in the diagram above that K447 posted...................

Hello

I will check that out I see what your talking about now I will let you know what happens thanks for the help,
    Josh

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris rider 1 View Post
    I did notice when i installed the other jet pump it had some metal adapter that was at an angle and it made the plastic pipe on the side of the jet pump not seat correctly so I put some sealant around the area where it wasn't seated correctly and also was wondering is this some performance piece that someone added because it wasn't on the other jet pump this may be the problem but I'm not sure if that could be it...
    Item 29 in the jet pump diagram is called the pump wedge. It is used to angle the jet thrust upwards slightly, causing the hull too ride higher in the water, providing a little more speed.

It is important that it be installed with the thicker part at the bottom, AND that the plastic cooling water tube mate properly with the fitting on the side of the nozzle. The wedge changes the way the nozzle mates with the tube, AND moves the nozzle backwards, so the water tube needs to be the correct length part.

If your original jet pump did not have the wedge, then don't install it on the replacement jet pump. OR find a Polaris water tube that is the correct length for the pump+wedge.

Using sealant on the end of the tube might be a problem. There is significant water pressure inside that tube, and it must not leak when running in the water at speed.

While you are at it, make sure the inlet screen (item 2 is not clogged, AND is facing the correct way, with the tiny holes angled forward, to catch the water flow through the nozzle, and direct it into the cooling water fitting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information