Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 djsa series sponsors.

I was looking ahead to next year and i was thinking of how we can get some sponsorship for the 2009 series. I work for a bud and redbull distributor and Derek Mendoza works for a bud and monster distributor so we might be able to help. I think it would be cool to have some sponsorship and to call our series the (sponsor name here) djsa nor-cal championship. I think it just sounds cool and would give our series more prestige. Nice trophies for top three in each class for series highpoints. What do you guys think. I have alot of free time and all i think about is next year and the fun we will have. Obviously jim would have last say on this. What do you think captain?

+1

sponsors

what is the ideal way to approach a company to ask for sponsorship?is it tabo to approach your employer for sponsorship ?

I am not sure but i know the company i work for has sponsored employees in other motorsports. I think that you need a big company to help in a series. I think monster sponsors one of the regions in the midwest series. I was thinking of a proper way to approach a company who might be interested in helping our sport. I think the beverage industry is always involved in motorsports but wether someone would actually get involved in our series i dont know. Anyone with any ideas?

Bringin' back the ol' X2 to the race scene! karty's Avatar
    Cant hurt to ask!

2007 World Finals Beer Pong Champion
    I dont have any resources, but I think that is a killer idea

+1
    I suggest you put together a resume for both the race, and the race promoter, and help all the racers put together race resumes'. You need to showcase what the race series can do for the economy of the company you are soliciting.

In other words, what can you give them, so that they can give back, and how do you write it to start the conversation (communication?)

Some companies operate with a handshake. Some over beer. Some in a rigid structured form. Know your potential sponsor... especially one for a series.

+1
    I agree. Sponsorship is a business. You will need to present a Business Plan including all proposed expenses and ROI - Return on Investment. Whether it's winning cash prizes to exposure of brand product, there has to be a Plan. Just put yourself in the shoes of the business. Would you give $$ to someone off the street because they just had a cool idea?? Even if its just racing fuel or entry fees.. It aint the dot coms anymore....

Also, you will need to review the "culture" of the business if they would even consider it. "If it's in the best interest of the business".

My 200/hr consultant fee = waived..... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I suggest you put together a resume for both the race, and the race promoter, and help all the racers put together race resumes'. You need to showcase what the race series can do for the economy of the company you are soliciting.

In other words, what can you give them, so that they can give back, and how do you write it to start the conversation (communication?)

Some companies operate with a handshake. Some over beer. Some in a rigid structured form. Know your potential sponsor... especially one for a series.

Getting sponsorship is hard.
    Believe it or not smaller companies work better for the odd $500.
    However another approach would be to put together an electronic schedule and newsletter and get a big sponsor to buy in giving them promotional material they can use. Give them an opt out and a price per event (makes it seem easier).
    It has to be done in a business kind of way because there are expenses. Most people involved in the series are willing to give their time for free which helps out more than you could ever know.
    A big sponsor is one that will put together over 10K in funding and I know that is no where near what something like this costs.
    Fans are also big sponsors. They are not going to pay to watch at the moment, but the money spectators put into local economies and businesses shows that the series is good for them. The trick is getting it kick started.
    Fans also buy T-Shirts and bobble heads and soda and ice cream etc.

We should all come up with a list of potential sponsors and maybe Jim or someone can approach some of them. The big sponsors have departments dedicated to this type of thing and kind of expect a portfolio / resume and limitation of liability etc.

My top 3 would be
    1. A major ancient sunlight vendor (preferably one involved in racing)
    2. A local name brand business where the owner has an interest in motorsports (winery, supermarket, builder, manufacturer). There are some well off people in the bay area who write off a lot of money each year for tax purposes and they often like to see something back for their hard earned green. Win win if you can find someone.
    3. A health or insurance company. Both have obvious benefits and would also have departments to handle sponsorships.

then there are the political sponsors.
    Get a sponsorship from TV guide and they'll want to know why channel 4 is not covering all of our races.

Finally there are the recommended sponsorhips, where no money or services change hands, but the mere fact they are on the flyer makes people look. Ideally this is someone famous.

and as hydrotoys mentions there are proffessional organizations out there that do just this type of thing,
    eg http://racequest.com/index.html

To give you an idea, I approached over 150 organizations for the freedom ride and I got sponsorship worth about $3500 from 4 of them. $1000 of this was cash, but the event could not have happened without the remaining good will. This took about 40 hours of my time and about the same from other people that stepped in to help. I ended up out of pocket so I know for a fact that Jim doing 15 races a year is probably loosing his trousers.

Oh and to answer your question Gordon, the cash came from my employer I simply asked my CEO if he'd be willing to put something towards an event I was involved with and I'd try to get him some press coverage. You never know unless you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    what is the ideal way to approach a company to ask for sponsorship?is it tabo to approach your employer for sponsorship ?

Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    Getting sponsorship is hard.
    Believe it or not smaller companies work better for the odd $500.
    However another approach would be to put together an electronic schedule and newsletter and get a big sponsor to buy in giving them promotional material they can use. Give them an opt out and a price per event (makes it seem easier).
    It has to be done in a business kind of way because there are expenses. Most people involved in the series are willing to give their time for free which helps out more than you could ever know.
    A big sponsor is one that will put together over 10K in funding and I know that is no where near what something like this costs.
    Fans are also big sponsors. They are not going to pay to watch at the moment, but the money spectators put into local economies and businesses shows that the series is good for them. The trick is getting it kick started.

Fans also buy T-Shirts and bobble heads and soda and ice cream etc.

We should all come up with a list of potential sponsors and maybe Jim or someone can approach some of them. The big sponsors have departments dedicated to this type of thing and kind of expect a portfolio / resume and limitation of liability etc.

My top 3 would be
    1. A major ancient sunlight vendor (preferably one involved in racing)
    2. A local name brand business where the owner has an interest in motorsports (winery, supermarket, builder, manufacturer). There are some well off people in the bay area who write off a lot of money each year for tax purposes and they often like to see something back for their hard earned green. Win win if you can find someone.
    3. A health or insurance company. Both have obvious benefits and would also have departments to handle sponsorships.

then there are the political sponsors.
    Get a sponsorship from TV guide and they'll want to know why channel 4 is not covering all of our races.

Finally there are the recommended sponsorhips, where no money or services change hands, but the mere fact they are on the flyer makes people look. Ideally this is someone famous.

and as hydrotoys mentions there are proffessional organizations out there that do just this type of thing,
    eg http://racequest.com/index.html

To give you an idea, I approached over 150 organizations for the freedom ride and I got sponsorship worth about $3500 from 4 of them. $1000 of this was cash, but the event could not have happened without the remaining good will. This took about 40 hours of my time and about the same from other people that stepped in to help. I ended up out of pocket so I know for a fact that Jim doing 15 races a year is probably loosing his trousers.

Oh and to answer your question Gordon, the cash came from my employer I simply asked my CEO if he'd be willing to put something towards an event I was involved with and I'd try to get him some press coverage. You never know unless you ask.

Thanks for the help chatty. I did not realize how much work you put into the freedom ride. I commend you for it and wish i had it in me to do it for djsa but i dont have that kind of relationship with my employer yet.

Smile Sponsorship

I ran into a pro rider for Yamaha. He told me you need to build up a profolio and mail it to the sponser. E-mails are nothing to them. Put something in front of them to read. That is in the works. Any help from you all is great. Good lookin out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information