08 VX110 Winterizing

I just bought my 2008 VX110 in July and now that winter is fast approaching I was wanting to know the proper way to winterize my machine. I have a 94 Sea-Doo XP 2 stroke but have never owned a 4 stroke and I am not sure what needs to be done to properly winterize and store for winter! Any help would be much apprecciated. I am also looking for a 2 place waverunner trailer near the midwest region if anyone has one to sell.

It is What it is!
    its simple, buy a wetsuit and ride it all winter!

VX Winterizing

That's it? Nothing to fog, no marine antifreeze to run through it! Surely there must be something for winter storage with midwest winters that get well below freezing at times! If that is all there is, Maybe I will buy a wetsuit for those cooler days!

It is What it is!
    hay there, i was being silly with ya.... in a winter where it freezes a lot, i really cant tell you as we dont winterize ours with a 10 month season. what we do in the off 2 months is fog the inside of the compartment well, make sure all water is out, add stabil to the fuel and run it 10 mins on teh hose to distribute it around. but we really dont get to freezing anything like you do so you will need to winterize, but im not sure what all that requires for you, maybe someone will chime in, or a dealer could do it..

welcome, you will love the vx

LOOKING
    Run rv/pwc antifreeze through the flushing lines.

I have an '08 VX Deluxe and I was also wondering what the proper procedures are for winterizing. I know you have to add fuel stabilizer and fog, but I'm not sure which lines to pull to fill with antifreeze. I had a SeaDoo before and the owners manual had the proper winterizing procedures. Yamaha in its wisdom tells you to take it to an authorized dealer and pay $100.

If anyone knows which lines to fill with anti-freeze or has a diagram, that would be appreciated. I don't have a service manual, but I looked in a couple of yamaha service manuals for 4 stroke machines and they don't cover winterizing, unless I'm blind and I missed it.

hi
    I have a brand new 09 vx deluxe , it was winterized when i picked it up. the tech told me specifically that it did not need to be fogged or filled with anti freeze, the reasoning is this. The cooling system is open looped so water does not stay in the engine compartment, upon winterizing you should flush well with fresh water, shut the water supply and hit the throttle a few times to blow out the remaing water. On the fogging, it is mentioned in the manual, but the tech said that he does not recommend because the engine has sensors that can get screwed up by the fogging oil and cause the engine to run improperly. I disagree so I followed the fogging directions in the manual and did it myself. Also remember it is a four stroke engine so there is oil in the engine compatment at all times. I hope this helps, I called Yamaha in Ga. and they told me that they couldn't help me but that I should follow the techs directions. When I told the tech about the fogging in the manual he said that "this id old info in the manual that has never been updated. Again I ride on the side of caution so I did fog according to the manual.
    Good Luck,
    Steve

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steeevo66 View Post
    On the fogging, it is mentioned in the manual, but the tech said that he does not recommend because the engine has sensors that can get screwed up by the fogging oil and cause the engine to run improperly.
    Steve
    Dont let that tech anywhere near your machine......that is totaly bad advice. Yamaha specify to fog the motor if it is to be stored for more then a week. This will protect the bore linings etc & more importantly the valve stems. I am not aware of fogging oil causing problems with sensors........if done as specified in the manual it wont evan foul the plugs.......just remember not to idle for long when cold, the small diameter plugs dont like it.
    As for antifreeze, personally I dont use it......the key is to get all the water out of the motor. If you do use it then remember to clamp off the cooling intake line when putting it in, otherwise most of it will just run out through the filter screen in the pump area & not go around the cooling passages. As you say its a free draining cooling system so evan if using antifreeze still try & clear it all from the system before storage.

Thread Information