Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Defining Performance Stages

Okay, I've gotten into a few discussions recently about what defines "Stages 1/2/3"...I crunched some numbers...

Based on the COMMON MODIFICATIONS and SPEEDS people are getting, combined with what performance shops are offering as their versions (such as Riva), here is what I have determined as the REQUIREMENTS to be considered a Stage 1/2/3...

For comparison purposes, lets assume that a Stock RXP speed is 67.0mph @ 8100-8160 rpm

Stage 1
    - Modified Air Intake of any style, size, etc...
    - Impeller, either modified stock or aftermarket...
    - EITHER an Intake Grate, other than stock...OR a Modified Exhaust System...
    Speed Range = 67.1 – 71.0 mph @ 8100-8160 rpm

Stage 2 (basics of Stage 1, plus...)
    - External IC, any brand, size, location, etc...
    - Modified Forced Induction, as long as its not OEM...
    Speed Range = 71.1 – 74.9 mph @ 8100-8160 rpm

Stage 3 (basics of Stage 2, plus...)
    - ECU
    Speed Range = 75.0 – 80.0 mph @ 8500-8600 rpm

Any other item(s) are not typicaly associated, such as a filled rideplate holes, or valve train, or ceramic bearings, or wedge, etc...but can HELP these modifications perform better...PLUS Most of these items are REQUIRED to be there because the modifications warrant them.

Here are some examples pulled from the Performance Database
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32383

Here is a typical Stage 1

71.0 @ 8100, 2005 RXP, 4" air intake, Stock prop +1mm, Thru-Hull exhaust, Riva grate, OPAS BO's, ride plate holes filled...

Here is a typical Stage 2

74.2 @ 8100rpm, 2005 RXP, Custom 4" air intake, XS IC, GreenWheel, 15/19R, Res. bypass, Riva grate, RE BO's, 42lb green inj's, Ride plate holes filled, reverse bucket cut.

Here is a typical Stage 3

80.8 mph @ 8500 rpm, 2005 RXP, Riva Rear air intake, Rude SC, Riva IC, 15/20R, GH waterbox, Riva grate and wedge, RE BO's, Riva ECU, 50lb injectors, valvetrain, stainless wear ring, sponsons, GH skegs, filled ride plate holes, trimmed reverse bucket

Now, here are some variations of Stages, can be considered HEAVY STAGES…Heavy meaning they have the requirements for their stage, but some other items from other stages to help them go FASTER than the typical speeds you would see from normal mods…

Heavy Stage 1

73.2 mph @ 8180 rpm, 2006 RXP, Riva 3" intake, stock supercharger, JFizzle XS intercooler, 14/19R prop, stock exhaust, Riva grate and wedge, stock ECM and injectors, stock engine, ? free mod's.

Heavy Stage 2

81.0 mph @ 8100 rpm, '04 RXP, T3 60 trim TURBO at 14 psi, XS intercooler, 15/20 4 blade pitched to 15/24, 81 mm nozzle, NOPAS and Riva sponsons, Riva grate, stock ECUusing AEM F/IC and 62# injectors, stock engine, filled RP holes, trimmed reverse bucket.

I know there is gonna be some arguing, but if you look over the numbers like I have, you will see a consistancy within them.

+1
    Nice post, I think you hit it rite on the head.

+1
    You said a typical stage 3 example is 80.8 mph, but above that you say the speed range for a stage 3 is 75-80 mph. Do a little adjusting to the speed ranges and I don't see anything else wrong with the info you posted. I'm sorry that the little variations of each person's 'staged kit' caused your brain to overthink and compelled you to post these basic figures.

+1
    The "Heavy Stage 2" is a turbo..You need to find a SCed Stage 3...

yeah but JD1 doesnt use your chart.. neither do I...
    PBJ stage 1 !!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    You said a typical stage 3 example is 80.8 mph, but above that you say the speed range for a stage 3 is 75-80 mph. Do a little adjusting to the speed ranges and I don't see anything else wrong with the info you posted. I'm sorry that the little variations of each person's 'staged kit' caused your brain to overthink and compelled you to post these basic figures.

I based the TYPICAL numbers off what performance shops post as their expected speeds for simply BOLTING ON those items....If you have a ski running a stock ECU that does 78mph, then you have a HEAVY Stage 2....Meaning that you have been able to make your ski go faster for cheap, and paying attention to DETAIL........Which is what this forum is about.

As for the 80mph Stage 3 listed, thats the first Stage 3 ski I saw listed in the database....Everything else in the 75-80 range is a Stock ECU'd boat

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    The "Heavy Stage 2" is a turbo..You need to find a SCed Stage 2...

Any forced induction other than stock, whether it be a Green Wheel, B-Kit, RUDE, or TURBO...It doesn't matter HOW it makes boost, its just making more boost than stock unit could......

Quote Originally Posted by palmbeach jesse View Post
    yeah but JD1 doesnt use your chart.. neither do I...
    PBJ stage 1 !!!!!

PBJ, you are a HEAVY Stage 3.......Wait, nah, you're just HEAVY

+1
    I know what you're saying and you got me all wrong. I'm saying where you listed Stage 3 -ECU 75-80 mph. That needs to get bumped up which will also coincide with your example.

Banned User
    +1
    I know what you're saying and you got me all wrong. I'm saying where you listed Stage 3 -ECU 75-80 mph. That needs to get bumped up which will also coincide with your example.

Provide me with a Stage 3 listing, and I will post it...Most skis IN that range are fast running stock ECU skis...

AND that range is based on BOLTING ON parts, no other items lists....like ride plate holes, bigger air intake, skeggs, etc...those would be the speed ranges you could expect.

Last couple of weeks, both Snoman and I have ridden our friend Juan's fully decked out Stage 3 ski, complete with C5 SC, 15/22, Riva ECU, Jim's Plate, etc...We are only able to squeeze 78-79mph out of it

+1
    I'd like to think all aftermarket ECU skis could hit atleast 78 in some way shape or form.

Banned User
    +1
    I'd like to think all aftermarket ECU skis could hit atleast 78 in some way shape or form.
    Yea, but you'd have a lot of other items with it to get to that speed....DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!

3 years ago I ran Psycho's RXP up to 74.5mph...That was with a 3" intake, Riva wheel, Rotax ECU @ 8550, Rotax IC, pitched to hell 14/19...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information