Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd issue ultra 130

My wife has an 03 ultra 130. It only has 50hrs on it and has been super reliable. Last summer she capsized it and it took on a ton of [salt] water. I towed it in, drained it out completely, cleaned it thoroughly, etc. since then, it shuts off when idling. I would say its doing it 60% of the time which makes it annoying as hell. It will idle for about 30 seconds or so and then shuts off. It starts right back up with no problem so we have been ignoring it because i cant figure it out and we didnt want to surrender it to a mechanic and have down-time on the ski.

I did have a mechanic/friend look at it before this season and he found nothing. Id like to address it this winter so that hopefully its fixed for next season. LMK your thoughts. Since its an intermittent problem.. its hard to diagnose. I figure maybe something throttle-related was corroded in the capsizing.... but im really stumped.

> Check compression on each hole.
    > Run KDIAG software to see if there is any stored code in the ECU (aka EMM).

compression is fine. I guess ill have to take it to the dealer to have the ecu scanned. thats not something i can do myself

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I guess ill have to take it to the dealer to have the ecu scanned. thats not something i can do myself
    Maybe you can, if you are willing to download the KDS from web and either buy or make your own comm cable which is shown step by step in other websites - such as pwtctoday.com. Look for the guy name KFA.

Only at idle?

Is the check engine light coming on? Is it running strong except at idle? Triple check all the electrical connections for any corrosion.

I bet it might be a bad connection to one of the stator coils. At the front of the engine you should see a bundle of wires, in a netting wrapper, follow those up to the EMM and check all connections. Be sure to disconnect the Neg battery terminal before disconnecting anything. Tomorrow I'll get the service manual out and walk you through a more specific test.

If there is not a big rush to get it fixed, I'd hold off on taking it to the dealer. I bet we can find it.

Stator issue on DI skis usually show up as a poor throttle response and low performance, not engine stalling when idling. There are 5 coils in the stator and you can easily do AC output check at the 10-pin connector that plugs into EMM.
    Shown below is my rebuilt DI engine ready to be dropped in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Stator issue on DI skis usually show up as a poor throttle response and low performance, not engine stalling when idling. There are 5 coils in the stator and you can easily do AC output check at the 10-pin connector that plugs into EMM.
    Shown below is my rebuilt DI engine ready to be dropped in.

It looks like my motors little brother

Ski runs 100% fine as long as you are giving it gas. Once you let off, it will idle for 30 seconds or so and then just shut off. It fires right back up and then may or may not doing it again.

It is obviously a corroded electrical connection somewhere.. but where??

The Mrs says that its 'no big deal' because she anchors it and sits on the beach all day only riding it in 15-20 min intervals. Therefore, shes under throttle most of the time. I get annoyed with it because it does it when im trying to flush it.

Quote Originally Posted by pthoma1 View Post
    Is the check engine light coming on? Is it running strong except at idle? Triple check all the electrical connections for any corrosion.

I bet it might be a bad connection to one of the stator coils. At the front of the engine you should see a bundle of wires, in a netting wrapper, follow those up to the EMM and check all connections. Be sure to disconnect the Neg battery terminal before disconnecting anything. Tomorrow I'll get the service manual out and walk you through a more specific test.

If there is not a big rush to get it fixed, I'd hold off on taking it to the dealer. I bet we can find it.

there are no check engine lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information