Thread: Pelosi's Energy Bill
09-16-2008, 06:07 PM #1
Pelosi's Energy Bill"....no drilling in Alaska, no drilling in the Eastern Gulf, no drilling inside 50 miles.' This is 'yes, but no litigation reform that will prevent radical environmental attorneys from tying up leases even before a single shovel of dirt is turned.'"
So...what exactly is the "transition" to be?
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM #2
This is a topic that is a lot more complicated than it first appears. I believe that it goes beyond environmentalist and oil company profits.
The fact is, there is only a certain amount of oil on earth. Once it's gone, it's gone. Therefore, we as a country need to make sure that there is enough oil to last us until we can convert our infrastructure to alternative energy sources.
We could drill everywhere in the U.S. and probably drop the price for a while however, eventually we will run out of places to drill and then be totally dependent on foreign oil supplies. This would not only be a financial problem, it would also be a national problem.
It would be smart for us to keep some of these large untapped oil deposits in our back pocket to ensure that we don't have serious supply problems down the road.
09-16-2008, 07:04 PM #3
So...we should start building nukes right away then....like those in Dubia and the AE...right?
Uhmm....no...no new nukes....Coal...uhmm...nope.
Where's the "transition" part of this bill?
"Some of our untapped deposits"?....sht....this bill cuts off 90%...then leaves the last 10% open for strangulation by litigation.
09-16-2008, 07:25 PM #4
I actually think that hydrogen is the future. It's clean, has no lasting waste to dispose of, and is the most abundant element on earth.
The government needs to take the money that they are giving to oil companies and give it as tax breaks to companies who produce affordable hydrogen powered vehicles and tax rebates to families to make these vehicles affordable to the working class.
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM #5
do u realize how long it would take to run out of oil?
09-16-2008, 07:31 PM #6
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
- Odessa, TX
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM #7
Its simple economics, supply and demand. The cheaper it is the higher demand will go, and the faster you will run out.
Another thing to consider is, if we would quit shipping our jobs over seas, we all would have higher paying jobs and higher gas prices wouldn't hurt as bad.
At the same time, we would not be shipping billions of dollars to China and other countries that they, in turn use to industrialize their countries and then need more oil. Increased demand = increase price.
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM #8
The flip side is that hydrogen is about 25% more efficient that gasoline. Two of the biggest drawbacks to hydrogen right now is safety and the lack of infrastructure.
09-16-2008, 08:07 PM #9
I'm all for solar, wind and renewable resources. Nukes too! However hydrogen is not the answer, at least not anytime soon. It may burn clean or convert to energy in a fuel cell with no pollutants, but there is no easy or economical way to produce it at the moment. Never mind the infrastructure to deliver it.
09-16-2008, 08:53 PM #10
Please understand that Pelosi is a socialist, she has been a member of the Progressive Caucus for years, and these people want to restructure the U.S. economy so U.S. businesses will have to buy carbon-based credits in order to operate on U.S. soil. They are doing the same thing to our domestic oil production that they did to our nuclear energy program under Clinton.
Alternative sources are great if they can be made to work, but in the mean time oil and gas will be instrumental to the U.S. economy for many years to come.
Despite the current energy costs and the fact that China with its abysmal environmental record is drilling within 70 miles off US shores, the Pelosi-CRATS promise they will continue to vote against oil drilling and exploration.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Hydrotoys in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 04-22-2007, 05:02 PM
By BlaZinMJ in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 33Last Post: 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
By porksword in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 03-20-2007, 10:58 PM
By Raider Kevin in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 28Last Post: 03-04-2007, 01:17 AM
By Raider Kevin in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM