GP1300 Ported or not Ported

People
    please
    i need your advice
    What do you recomend
    go for porting or not

I m very concern regarding reliability

Is it relaible if i go for porting and 3 degrees timing key.

Basic engine theory and the laws of physics say that anytime you add more power to the engine, you load the internal reciprocating assembly with a hotter/ heavier load, so yes, anytime you port, add keyway, mill head etc, you take some life off the engine.
    In the real world with these engines, dont worry about it....
    These yamaha GPR 2 strokes are one tough reliable engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Basic engine theory and the laws of physics say that anytime you add more power to the engine, you load the internal reciprocating assembly with a hotter/ heavier load, so yes, anytime you port, add keyway, mill head etc, you take some life off the engine.
    In the real world with these engines, dont worry about it....
    These yamaha GPR 2 strokes are one tough reliable engine.
    +1

send it out this winter to get it done and you will never look back

there are plenty of port smiths out there but you will hear the one name over and over agin on GH...lowell... enough said...

yes there are other and there damn good but lowell was MY choice and i never looked back...and he deals with us overseas boyz too

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    +1

send it out this winter to get it done and you will never look back

there are plenty of port smiths out there but you will hear the one name over and over agin on GH...lowell... enough said...

yes there are other and there damn good but lowell was MY choice and i never looked back...and he deals with us overseas boyz too
    How many hours do you have on your ski

Is it relaible?

Need Advice

+1
    I used Tim Judge for my porting, added a 3 degree keyway, milled head, etc. and I run my ski as a recreational unit. With the EFI, when I am just cruising and stuff, I run it rich as I can. Then if I am ready to race someone, I just put my settings to where they need to be for the race. When done, I switch it back to running rich. I have my efi controller sitting on my storage lid under the handlebars, So I can tune it anytime I want, even on the fly. I've put over 30 hours on my ported motor and everything seems to be fine. Tim Judge did a good port job and got it done within a months period. Gave a lot of useful information as well.
    But like Hydro said, one name always does pop up, Lowell Horning. Either way, you can't lose with either guy. I'd say if you got the $$$, go for it you will be happy you did.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    I used Tim Judge for my porting, added a 3 degree keyway, milled head, etc. and I run my ski as a recreational unit. With the EFI, when I am just cruising and stuff, I run it rich as I can. Then if I am ready to race someone, I just put my settings to where they need to be for the race. When done, I switch it back to running rich. I have my efi controller sitting on my storage lid under the handlebars, So I can tune it anytime I want, even on the fly. I've put over 30 hours on my ported motor and everything seems to be fine. Tim Judge did a good port job and got it done within a months period. Gave a lot of useful information as well.
    But like Hydro said, one name always does pop up, Lowell Horning. Either way, you can't lose with either guy. I'd say if you got the $$$, go for it you will be happy you did.
    SHOOTER
    I dont want a sea poo

i like my GPR the style of it
    it is much more beatyfull than any other ski

But im concern about relaibility.

+1
    I dont think by porting you give up any reliability, infact I think you make the engine more reliable and learn a whole lot in the process.... especially if you use Lowell.

+1
    Both if set up correctly can be reliable.

porting advantages

- make more HP

porting disadvantages

- use more fuel

- for an EFI ski you will require an EFI controller

- pistons and rings wear out faster, this is because the ports (primarily the exhaust port) is larger and this wears the rings faster

+1
    Don't buy a seapoo. I don't know where that came from as I have a gpr, 2000 and a 2007 gpr, both are EFI 1300's, one is ported the other non ported.
    To each their own.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information