i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar

Question R&D Powershot fuel tuner..Q's

i havent heard anything spoken about the Powershot from R&D? i come from the motorcycle world and is this equivilant to the Power Commander? USB port - upload some parameters/wire up some connectors and rip or what is the deal with the Powershot?

when i added the Power Commander to my 1000RR i totally noticed an improvement throughout the entire RPM band...is this the same for a ski??

thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    i havent heard anything spoken about the Powershot from R&D? i come from the motorcycle world and is this equivilant to the Power Commander? USB port - upload some parameters/wire up some connectors and rip or what is the deal with the Powershot?

when i added the Power Commander to my 1000RR i totally noticed an improvement throughout the entire RPM band...is this the same for a ski??

thanks!
    I have heard it is, but have not every tried it. I have one for the 215 but havnt taken the time to install it.

Ive looked over the instructions and you have 3 different parimeters to adjust.

idle
    mid range, i think 5,000 rpm
    Wot

I would like to know if i can run this with my RRFPR with no issues myself????????????

the power commander jumped between the injectors, TPS, and map...how does this hook-up? is splicing wires req. or is it plug-n-play?

im interested to see who is running this and their thoughts.

oh, and skoepp..how are you gonna buy something like that and not install??? hook that thing up and let me know..what are you waiting for?!

Banned User
    +1
    Maybe I can help. I have a turbo ZX14 with a power commander and am very familiar with that concept. The power shot doesn't do what the power commander does.

Here's what I understand; The throttle body on these ski's produces a voltage that is sent to the injectors. Based on this voltage, the injectors fire at a certain pulse, providing a richer or leaner mixture. The powershot can increase this pulse electrically to provide more fuel per pulse on the injectors. What it cannot do is remove, or lean out the mixture-yet.

The reason this device was created was that many ski's from the manufacturers are lean at WOT......this causes you to lose mph. He has data logged all the ski's that he makes these things for, and has carefully figured out the pulse cycle of the injectors(mapped), so that the correct a/f ratio is achieved.

When I last talked to R&D owner Bill, he said that something is in the works with the powershot that will allow you to add, or subtract fuel. The reason this is important to me is this-say I want to just cruise up river at 5000rpm.....I can push a button on the new powershot, and lean out the mixture for better fuel economy. Say somebody on a rental ski comes up and wants to race. No problem, I push another button, and the mixture richens up for WOT racing.

That's all I know about the one that is being developed. I should have already had it on my ski. But, the Yamaha SHO has taken up all his time, plus the World Finals are coming up, and there are some really big name racers coming into town that are probably taking up more of his time.

The reason there isn't a power commander like device is that Dyno-jet isn't interested. It cost them big $$$ to produce the power commander for motorcycles, and they don't think there is enough profit in it for PWC's, plus all the variations in PWC's, and the fact that are motors are always running up hill(under load), makes it not attractive to them.

There is a $4000+ device that you can plug into your lap top and tune your ECU while its on the ski. This device is very much like the power commander. But who the hell wants to spend that kinda money.

Hope this helps.....you can always call them for more info.

+1
    i guess my question would be then if it only adds fuel, how much more boost can it handle? can it handle the new etech or 2rude? is this item really an electronic version of an fpr?

Banned User
    +1
    No, not on an X boat. My understanding is that the 42lb injectors on the X boat are already maxed out. There is really no drop in wheel. You will need, at a minimum, bigger injectors, and probably a bigger fuel pump, for RRFPR.

Now on the SHO, the injectors are not maxed out, and neither is the fuel pump, so there it is capable of having just a different wheel dropped in, and a significant performance gain.

The(R&D) are working on things for the X boat. I hope to have some of this stuff in my boat by the time the World Finals is here, early next month.

i think i will patiently wait.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    the power commander jumped between the injectors, TPS, and map...how does this hook-up? is splicing wires req. or is it plug-n-play?
    Its plug and play with no splicing.

im interested to see who is running this and their thoughts.

I dont know if they have them for the 255 yet.

oh, and skoepp..how are you gonna buy something like that and not install??? hook that thing up and let me know..what are you waiting for?!
    It came with my BM header setup via hydrojunkie

I will get it back out and read it again, from what i read last time it would be able to fine tune my AFR at all rpm ranges.

Thread Information