Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pulling Engine on My SLX?!?!

Alrighty oh great ones,

As your help and resources have been my guiding light, I am now ready to jump into a serious stage 2 on my SLX 780. I am acquiring all of my parts and goodies to convert my bike to the beast it shall soon be. Thanks, BTW, for some of the great deals you guys have given me on good clean parts, etc.

So, with that said, I wanna pull my engine and get it in clean sheltered plain view for my utmost attention while wrenching the crap out of it, performing all of my labor. So, before I start getting myself stuck at dead ends, etc, does someone have a smooth plan to follow for a std process removal? The tech manual states a process, but it is definitely by the book, safety first kinda process. Of course I will tend to the power/harness/ground/oil and cooling lines, etc, etc, etc. But, what I am looking for is the best process for removal, period, from the hull.

Questions I could ask to start the ball in the needed direction would go as such:

Does the drypipe get removed before pulling/leaning engine, etc? (Noticed while attempting to remove the drypipe to header bolts, that the 2 on the inside do not clear the hull edge while removing, without a noticable tilt of the engine, etc. You cannot even unthread them far enough to release from manifold, hull edge in the way)

Do the carbs need to come off before lift out?

Is there a good way to remove/disconnect driveshaft, etc internally for engine removal without pulling Jet pump and housing, etc?

How much does this bad boy weigh, about, once pulled/breaking back to get it out?

Is an engine hoist/fabrication absolutely needed or can 2 guys driven by cold ones huff it?

Some of these questions should be discussed (haha) before I really dive into this to avoid a potential disaster.

Any and all feedback is always appreciated, wide open ears here...

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSLX View Post
    Alrighty oh great ones,

As your help and resources have been my guiding light, I am now ready to jump into a serious stage 2 on my SLX 780. I am acquiring all of my parts and goodies to convert my bike to the beast it shall soon be. Thanks, BTW, for some of the great deals you guys have given me on good clean parts, etc.

So, with that said, I wanna pull my engine and get it in clean sheltered plain view for my utmost attention while wrenching the crap out of it, performing all of my labor. So, before I start getting myself stuck at dead ends, etc, does someone have a smooth plan to follow for a std process removal? The tech manual states a process, but it is definitely by the book, safety first kinda process. Of course I will tend to the power/harness/ground/oil and cooling lines, etc, etc, etc. But, what I am looking for is the best process for removal, period, from the hull.

Questions I could ask to start the ball in the needed direction would go as such:

Does the drypipe get removed before pulling/leaning engine, etc? (Noticed while attempting to remove the drypipe to header bolts, that the 2 on the inside do not clear the hull edge while removing, without a noticable tilt of the engine, etc. You cannot even unthread them far enough to release from manifold, hull edge in the way)Take out the bolts you can, the pipe has to be removed before the engine will come out.(and be put in before too) after the engine is loose you can remove to hard ones.

Do the carbs need to come off before lift out? No

Is there a good way to remove/disconnect driveshaft, etc internally for engine removal without pulling Jet pump and housing, etc? Remove the pump,slide out the shaft.

How much does this bad boy weigh, about, once pulled/breaking back to get it out? I have removed and put in my 750 in the SLT by myself,But had someone help me set it up on a piece of plywood laying on the hull opening. 2 guys...no problem. I guees the engine is about 85#

Is an engine hoist/fabrication absolutely needed or can 2 guys driven by cold ones huff it? See above

Some of these questions should be discussed (haha) before I really dive into this to avoid a potential disaster. What brand beer? It takes about a six pack per worker to remove,if you don't rush.

Any and all feedback is always appreciated, wide open ears here...

And, since I have not yet provided any show off pics here are some of MY baby that will be converted to a true dream machine this winter. Also showing off my cool a$$ little custom Bandit trailer, great in the sand!!! And my Rover beast that takes my ski and my ATV's with a 12x6 ft landscaping trailer anywhere I want, would trade my wife before that truck...

Oooops, did I say that out loud?

Upgrades and goodies set for my SLX project go like this:

Pro CDI
    12/17 Skat
    92 Shorti DryPipe (found one for $50 to the door, oh yeeeah!)
    44mm Pro Carbs
    Pro F/A
    Pro Intake Manifold
    V-Force Reeds

***Black Hydro-Turf
    ***Black-White Hydro-Turf seat cover

All getting implemented to this clean, barely 70hr 96 SLX, ahhhh, love it...

Can't wait to get started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1657.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	699.4 KB 
ID:	95055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1661.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	681.8 KB 
ID:	95056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1510.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	742.1 KB 
ID:	95057  

Keddano, totally appreciate the thorough, quick, to the point answers. Exactly what I was looking for, and exactly why I belong to GH Perfm...

Thx much, keep ya posted on my removal process, take some pics of my shop spread once I am setup to wrench, etc.

Have a fantabulous evening...

BTW, Sierra Pale or Big Bass Ale bottles should do the trick. If we wanna get a little rowdy, we can always warm up with a 30 pk of Miller lite.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSLX View Post
    Keddano, totally appreciate the thorough, quick, to the point answers. Exactly what I was looking for, and exactly why I belong to GH Perfm...

Thx much, keep ya posted on my removal process, take some pics of my shop spread once I am setup to wrench, etc.

Have a fantabulous evening...

No Problem,I use a 1' by 3' piece of 1/2" plywood,easy to have in place in the front of the engine and slide back to support the engine while repositioning. UGGGGG!

+1
    when you remove the pump just pull the four long bolts not any of the nuts that are on the hull ,also the trim rod and steering cable bolt .

+1
    Now you need some UMI steering for that little racy look...having a choice of bars is nice as well. LOL
    Good Luck on your project, sounds fun.
    After all your mods let us know the difference you feel between the SLX and PRO CDI.
    I haven't checked the curve lately but I always thought the SLX curve was pretty impressive and will certainly run on pump gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    when you remove the pump just pull the four long bolts not any of the nuts that are on the hull ,also the trim rod and steering cable bolt .

Yeah, know what you are saying. The nuts are sealed/glued to the hull so the bolts should just thread right out leaving the securing hardware, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Now you need some UMI steering for that little racy look...having a choice of bars is nice as well. LOL
    Good Luck on your project, sounds fun.
    After all your mods let us know the difference you feel between the SLX and PRO CDI.
    I haven't checked the curve lately but I always thought the SLX curve was pretty impressive and will certainly run on pump gas.
    Agreed. SeaLion had great success with a similar setup, the Pro CDI and 44mm carbs really wake up the 780 powerplant, especially with the 92 drypipe and 12/17 Skat when you can get it dialed in correctly, which I for sure plan to accomplish.

I was considering doing a UMI overhaul but I just LOVE the nice new Pro 1200 black handlebar pad, etc. Looks really clean. Maybe when it gets weathered a bit I will consider, for now it is all about the engine project till I am tuned...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information