Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderated

A reminder to one and all to be careful this summer

Guys

when you are working on your ski's please be sure to double check everything in case you forget to do something you should have or forget to put something back on.

I myself, made this mistake today and took a ski out with no intake grate on it because i swapped it over to another ski and my girlfriend was riding it.

She complained it was not hooking up right so i took it for a quick run to see what was wrong and let me tell you i know exactly what a failed grate feels like at 80kph + now because it hooked me straight off.

I was very lucky i was not hurt although I lost my favorite watch and yet another pair of sun glasses so it was a very very expensive ride for me this morning but it could have been much worse.

Please be careful and double check everything you do after you do it, just in case.

+1

Always inspect the ski before a ride.

Moderated
    i feel like a complete idiot beerdart, i know better then to forget something so important but i have been under both skis more times in the last 6 months then i have had hot dinners and it simply slipped my mind, i am not making excuses but just trying to point out to everyone how easy it is to forget.

thank god my girl does not ride fast or it could have been her and she is tiny compared to me ( 50kg vs. 100kg) and it may have hurt her badly, better me then her.

i only posted my foolish espisode as a warning to others to not be forgetful or complacent as one small mistake can be very costly, in my case it cost me thousands in lost gear but better then then a torn shoulder or something.

on a brighter note i picked up .5mph on my last test run

like beerdart says guys

ALL WAYS CHECK YOUR SKIS END TO END BEFORE A RIDE NO MATTER WHAT- THE ONE TIME I DID NOT , LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.

Stupid happens! It takes a good friend to warn others

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Stupid happens! It takes a good friend to warn others

+1

Thumbs up Intake Grate !!!!

Glad you are ok and only pride hurt...I hope you did'nt lose your TAG watch.
    Tag is a brand name, very expensive....

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Glad you are ok and only pride hurt...I hope you did'nt lose your TAG watch.
    Tag is a brand name, very expensive....
    in actual fact it was a tag, tiger wood series...

a freind is on his way over now with diving gear to see if we can find it

guys all things considered i was very lucky and it could hav e been ten times worse, yes i am pissed about the watch but i can replace it easy enough.

i just wanted to remind everyone that no matter how confident you are with a ski or how good you are with a wrench to be careful and always double check your work just in case something slips through the first check like it did to me today.

please dont offer me any sympathy as i dont derserve any, in fact a deserve a slap in the head ( already did that) for being some complacent.

take care out there guys, the water can be very mean when it wants to be.

+1
    glad you're alright...good luck finding your watch, i lost my rolex last july 4th...its a sick feeling losing something like that...i had a friend dive for it but it didnt turn up

+1
    Steve,

Glad to hear you're ok.

I agree with everything you said. don't feel stupid cause here is another story just as good....

Last year I forgot to connect the Water hose on the back of the Exhaust (behind the Cat or D-plate) this was just after doing the pump tunnel reinforcement. before leaving the ramp had the boat sitting in water for about 15min with no evidence of leaks.

Got two or three minutes from the ramp and lifted the seat just to check everything was ok... saw water on the bottom of the hull and turned around (thinking it was a leak from the pump tunnel)... half way back to the ramp the boat was slowing right down and low on rpm (engine sucking water I'm pretty sure)... made it back to the ramp... ran to the car, got the ski on the trailer and drained the water.... Starting the ski on the trailer I saw where the water was pissing from... was fixed in two minutes and was back on the water in no time.
    But I Almost Sunk my boat, and I also did an engine (from sucking water) I was very lucky as it could have been costly... (I've always tipple checked that hose every time now :P )

As for the watch... I think it might be gone. they get covered in Sand within a couple of minutes. A friend lost her $15,000 engement ring at the river last year in about 100mm of water... we knew exactly where it was but could not find it... (no currents even) by the time we got a metal detector (about 2 hours later) the ring was about 5cm bellow the surface of the sand)... hope you find it though... I feel your pain as I lost a $420 pair of BLIND sunglasses and a pair of Oakley sunnies at Lobster Beach, and my pair of Armarni Sunglusses on the Nepean while super manning ( I didn't mention the last pair on the phone the other night as the Mrs was with ear shot and she doesn't know yet... :Ol)

Smile

Damo you also forgot to remind us all the time we were wrenching at Penrith and you didn't do the ride plate all the way up after changing props .

Most of these things happen when you are distracted or there are a lot of guys around wrenching at the ramp at the same time and you are running around helping each other set there ski up

I and others learnt this the hard way when I lost my ski down the embankment on the trailer as I blame myself for being careless not to chock the wheel.

As Izzo said rule number 1 always check and check again.

On a different note
    The worst thing I hate when you rock up at the local ramp and you back your triple pipe in on the trailer fire it up and your sitting their trying to push the thing of the trailer and its not budging as by now you have a crowd and you realise the rear tie down is still on,you feel very STUIPED or once you have realised you swing around the back of the ski and with one hand undo it like a magician so nobody noticed and pretend you were checking something,done that more than one time but am getting good at doing the one handed magician trick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information