Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Well thats not good...

So once upon a time there was a guy with an 05 RXT pretty much bone stock except Jerry's Washers....

Had 130 hours on it, never once single mechanical problem...

Then came that beautiful September Saturday and he decided he wanted to take her out for a little cruising... so down he went. Fired her up... all was well as normal, let it warm up for 3-5 minutes because it hadn't been ridden in 2 weeks and the nights have been getting pretty cold. Took her out, coasted out and eventually(within 5 minutes) went to fire her up and hit WOT. Did, was cruising along for 5-6 seconds, felt a nice jerk, the beautiful sound from the engine turned kinda rough, the RPM's wont go above 6500-6600 and sounds like shit. Stopped, shut her down, fired her back up, noted what sounded like cavitation from the pump house but didn't fell like it, went to go off again and it was okay aside from a little cavitation. Pulled the throttle and it went like normal. Reached 7700 RPM and it jerked again, back down to 6500. Limp back to dock. Checked pump.... all good. Checked hoses, all good. Checked everything a novice rec rider like myself would know to check and all seemed good. Pulled her out of the water, looked further into the pump, nothing wrapped around the metal cylinder that goes from the middle of the grate through the impeller/pump, impeller looked good, wear ring good.

Where to go from here??

I am kinda sorta familiar with the engine components... I have played around a little with them but never anything major and just have a basic tool box with a set of the Torx wrenches.

Gonna need some help boys... because as much as I didn't want to mess with the engine before in fear of breaking something... I gotta now.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    So once upon a time there was a guy with an 05 RXT pretty much bone stock except Jerry's Washers....

Had 130 hours on it, never once single mechanical problem...

Then came that beautiful September Saturday and he decided he wanted to take her out for a little cruising... so down he went. Fired her up... all was well as normal, let it warm up for 3-5 minutes because it hadn't been ridden in 2 weeks and the nights have been getting pretty cold. Took her out, coasted out and eventually(within 5 minutes) went to fire her up and hit WOT. Did, was cruising along for 5-6 seconds, felt a nice jerk, the beautiful sound from the engine turned kinda rough, the RPM's wont go above 6500-6600 and sounds like shit. Stopped, shut her down, fired her back up, noted what sounded like cavitation from the pump house but didn't fell like it, went to go off again and it was okay aside from a little cavitation. Pulled the throttle and it went like normal. Reached 7700 RPM and it jerked again, back down to 6500. Limp back to dock. Checked pump.... all good. Checked hoses, all good. Checked everything a novice rec rider like myself would know to check and all seemed good. Pulled her out of the water, looked further into the pump, nothing wrapped around the metal cylinder that goes from the middle of the grate through the impeller/pump, impeller looked good, wear ring good.

Where to go from here??

I am kinda sorta familiar with the engine components... I have played around a little with them but never anything major and just have a basic tool box with a set of the Torx wrenches.

Gonna need some help boys... because as much as I didn't want to mess with the engine before in fear of breaking something... I gotta now.

J

Just do an oil change?

over-filled?

I over-filled once on an RXT and it did exactly that.

good luck man!

Nope...

Oil change was done about 20 hours ago(Was gonna change it next weekend) and the oil level is perfect.

+1
    Charger bearings?

Pull the hose going from the charger to the intercooler and check for gray dust.

MPower...

If you are reffering to the SC Air Inlet Hose I literally just did that.

I have a service manual and am going through it right now, following the trouble shooting steps for an engine not reaching maximum RPM. It is clean enough to eat off of except it has some grease in there... Looks to be perfectly coated among the entire inside so I am assuming it is supposed to be like that...???

MPower...

I have a service manual and am going through it right now, following the trouble shooting steps for an engine not reaching maximum RPM. It is clean enough to eat off of except it has some grease in there... Looks to be perfectly coated among the entire inside so I am assuming it is supposed to be like that...???
    it`s also from oil/blow by from the crankase, normal...

I don't want to admit it but I am fearing it might be a SC issue.

I have the steel washers in but those were palced at 55hrs. I thought I read somewhere(and now cant find it) that you can check to see if the washers are blown by removing some hose, sticking your finger in somewhere and seeing if something is too loose.... anyone heard of this and if so... am I barking up the wrong tree??

Should I be looking at my pistons or something to see if one is blown or cracked???

Anything obvious jumping out to anyone that I can check without a NASA tested fuel pressure pump or a tourqe wrench??? And if so, what do I need to buy ASAP to get this sucker fixed. Anyone need to see pics of anything? I am pretty much desperate because I have always bragged about how my SD is the chit and has been more reliable than anything else and am hoping this is a stupid fix and can be back on the water ASAP without dropping 2 grand.

check the plugs mine did that when the plugs went bad. put new plugs in ran great

Blue demon you might be on to something...

I just pulled them and found all three of them were gray/white on the terminal. I have never seen anything like that. The RPM's were bouncing quiet a bit which could be indicative of a misfire.... I could see them. Replace them I shall!

+1
    MPower...

Not the hose that sends air into the charger. The hose that goes out of the charger and into your throttle body (assuming you have the stock intercooler).

Also while you're at it, pull the air intake hose off the charger and try and spin the blades on the charger wheel.

If those 2 things check out okay, then you most likely don't have any serious supercharger problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information