Not a SeaDoo but help

OK guys I know its not a SeaDoo but you guys have been so much help I figured there would be somebody that knew the answers on here. I bought a boat. The guy let it sink tied to his dock in fresh water. He pulled it out the next day and emptied the engine out, but didnt do anything else. It is a 20' Wellcraft 350 Chevy IO. I was a mechanic so I poured diesel down the carb with the plugs out filled it full of oil and cranked it over with the plugs out till it got in all the cylinders and came out the plug holes. Changed oil again put plugs in it runs pretty gfood idles good etc. The part I dont know much about is the lower end. I know ther eis one place that you have to empt y the oil and refill every year like the jet drive in my SeaDoo, but is there anything else I should drain? Shold I take it right off and inspect anything? I kind of figured its underwater most of the time anyway, so it sholdnt have gotten hurt. I just wasnt sure about water coming in from the engine side messing up something that way.

+1
    I think you will be OK since you took care of the motor well. I would check the tilt/trim hydraulic oil tank/reservoir for water or contaminated oil; the outdrive also has oil in it, so it might be smart to remove the upper and lower plugs and let the oil drain out. Then get the right gear lube and put the tip tight in the bottom hole and push oil in until the oil starts flowing out the top hole, then put the plugs back in. I know this sounds backwards, but they often do it this way to ensure that the outdrive fills correctly and there are not air bubbles.

Oh, I think there is also a power steering reservoir on those also, check that for water contamination too. Thats all I can think of ... anybody else??

As long as the oil isn't milky anymore and you let the engine run at operating temp for a bit you should be good. But like he said just check all the fluids and make sure they didn't get contaminated. O yea did you pump out the gas tank cause that will probably have water in it being that it has an open vent.

+1
    You need to pull the drive off there is a vent that goes to the u-joint bellows that can fill with water

+1
    +1 on everything said. You also might consider taking your starter apart and servicing that, or look for a spare to have on hand. We havn't had a lot of luck with them after being submerged.

OBJ

Thanks guys. I knew I would have to pump the gas tank out as like you said I am sure there was a vent somewhere. Power steering done and trim oil changed, but the trim motor clicks but doesnt do anything. I may have to get one but atleast clean it out and try again. I started pulling the outdrive off to check on the bellows and grease everything. Thanks for the oil tip for the outdrive I will try that. I may pull the carb to just so I can try to empty out all of the water so it doesnt end up stuck in the bowl. I cant wait to try this out, I can put my daughter behinmd the wheel with trim all the way up to make waves for my ski LOL

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by outboard john View Post
    +1 on everything said. You also might consider taking your starter apart and servicing that, or look for a spare to have on hand. We havn't had a lot of luck with them after being submerged.

OBJ
    The good part on that is a Chevy start won't cost more than $50 at an autoparts store.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    The good part on that is a Chevy start won't cost more than $50 at an autoparts store.
    Gas fumes sit on the bottom of the bilge! If you need a starter please make sure it's a marine starter that is coast guard approved.

When you change drive oil make sure you fill it from the bottom drain plug. You actually have to pump oil into the drive from the bottom.

Thread Information