+1

Interesting Drive Shaft Wear on 4-Tec, What is it?

I have been working on a noisy drive shaft linkage for a month now. I had to purchase a new driveshaft and I purchased a new impeller from a member here on the board. I did run the new shaft with the old impeller for less than 10 hours. The driveline is noticeably louder than my other 4-Tec. Is it abnormal - who the heck knows?

Here are answers to some obvious questions:
    1. I have an SBT alignment rig. I get easy insertion in the rear tool while rotating the long shaft tool.
    2. The pump bearings were inspected and no wear was identified by feel. They felt very tight.
    3. Brand new front bumper on shaft, and new impeller boot and cap.
    I am baffled what could cause wear like this. It is almost like an impact wear, or the splines don't match (more likely). Very strange. Anyone ever seen anything like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00917.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	95387  

+1
    No one has ever seen a wear pattern like this? I am leaning to a pump problem as the cause, but would sure like some validation.

Does that ski have a plastic pump housing? Is your wear ring worn in two places 180 degrees apart? How does the connection between the impeller and shaft feel is there any slop? Is the picture of the new or old shaft? I am not sure about this scenerio but if the pic is of the new shaft it may have been caused by a worn impeller.

+1
    Looks normal to me.

You mentioned you had a bumper on the front of the driveshaft did you have one on the rear also ?

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    is that the PTO side of the shaft???

we hadda replace the "socket" that the shaft slide into becouse it was tearing up driveshafts. its a hardened item so the driveshaft will wear before the socket does. but if the splines are jacked up then it just eats any shaft you put in there.

good news.
    well you can accually change it out WITHOUT removing the motor and you don't even have to remove the pto houseing, its all done with a crankshaft holding tooling and a pto removal tool thrue the driveshaft hole.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    you should have a rubber stopper on the end of the driveshaft too.
    without it the shaft moves and will cause the splines to wear out sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidacceleration View Post
    you should have a rubber stopper on the end of the driveshaft too.
    without it the shaft moves and will cause the splines to wear out sooner.
    4Tec only has a bumper on the side thats in the engine and he said it was new.. I think its normal depending on hours and impellor. I have never had one come in that still had grease in the spline area. But I only work on the ones no one cares for

+1
    Sorry it took me a while to respond. That is the impeller side of the drive shaft. The PTO looks brand new. I had an older impeller on the pump up until recently, when I purchased a new impeller and installed it. The splines on both impellers looked good to my eye.

One wrinkle in this story is that I cannot seem to get a straight answer on the 2002 drive shaft. This drive shaft is new to this rebuild because the old one was toast. When I removed the old one, I noticed it was longer by 3/16". The bumper on the PTO side was mashed beyond recognition and the thrust washers in the engine were worn badly.

Only the 2002 year drive shaft was different. From that point on they were converged on 155 and 185 hp seadoos from what I can tell. That ('03 on) was the shaft I purchased as a replacement. Reguardless, I had good spline engagement and the length seemed appropriate (no slop when installed). Lately, I have begun to focus on the pump (although I am not sure how that would cause spline wear). I purchased a new aluminum pump housing and have yet to put it on. Not sure what else to do. Still not sure if the shaft is bad or not????

Thread Information