Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

winterizing an ultra 150

i searched for this and cant find anything so sorry if this has been beat to death but hear we go.

its time for me to winterize my 03 ultra 150 and im not sure what all needs to be done and i did not get a manual with the ultra so if someone could post a link or maybe push me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

Add stabilizer to the fuel and let it run on the flush hose a couple of minutes. Then shut the water off and use a hose and funnel to pour some pink rv antifreze in the flush fitting. Next step is to fog the motor with fogging oil. Spray some in the carbs while it is running then shut it off and spray more in the spark plug holes. I use a air line to blow in the flush fitting this should blow most of the water out of the cooling system. Should take you about 10 minutes.

Before winterizing it I would check it over for things that need attention and check compression. That way you have your winter to do list.

+1
    Don't forget about your trailer! Now is a good time to grease/repack the wheel bearings. You don't want water trapped in there, especially over the winter. You can also fix the lights, etc. in the off season. Some people like to jack up the trailer to take the weight off the tires, cover the tires, etc.

Good point!

where you live and does the ski stay outside?

well i live near cincinnati and the ski will stay inside through the winter in my garage that is heated so do i still have to fill the motor with the antifreeze i am asking because i dont have the flush and fill kit and it looks like it will be about $55.00 to buy one so i would rather not if i dont have to.

no...if it stays inside then as long as you runs it a few seconds out of water and burp the throttle to clear most of the water before storage. The only reason skis needs anti freeze is when they will be outside in temp. below 32 degrees for more then a few hours...and i wouldnt flood the engine with fogging oil. Just spray some wd-40 in the carbs and inside the pistons. But fogging oil is just fine it just make it a little hard to start the next time. The fuel stabilizer is a most though...

Winterizing Ultra 150

I'm also one who need to perform his 1st winterization. I read the post here and have some questions to make sure I don't mess thing up.

(Re-phase the steps from btldigger's post and have inline questions)

1. Add Stabilizer to the fuel and let it wun on the flush hose a coupld of minute
    Question: Do I need to buy a flush kit or a normal garden hose would be fine?

2. Then shut the water off and use a hose and funnel to pour some pink rv antifreze in the flush fitting.
    Question: How much do I need to pour antifreeze in? Doing this step will also flush the antifreeze out of the cooling system, so there should be no antifreeze in the cooling system, is it correct?

3. Next step is to fog the motor with fogging oil. Spray some in the carbs while it is running then shut it off and spray more in the spark plug holes.
    Question: Do I need to open the carbs off to spray the fogging oil?

General question: I live in Austin, Texas, and the weather will not go below freezing temperature, worst case we will have only a few days per winter. Do I still need to winterize my Ultra 150?

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by chinhminhdo View Post
    I'm also one who need to perform his 1st winterization. I read the post here and have some questions to make sure I don't mess thing up.

(Re-phase the steps from btldigger's post and have inline questions)

1. Add Stabilizer to the fuel and let it wun on the flush hose a coupld of minute
    Question: Do I need to buy a flush kit or a normal garden hose would be fine?

I have no clue how the ultra are set-up. But if its easier for you to add it to the tank then just take it to the lake one last time then thats fine too. It can be driven with stabilizer in the fuel...

2. Then shut the water off and use a hose and funnel to pour some pink rv antifreze in the flush fitting.
    Question: How much do I need to pour antifreeze in? Doing this step will also flush the antifreeze out of the cooling system, so there should be no antifreeze in the cooling system, is it correct?

This is the last step you do.Yes there needs to be anti-freeze in the engine..so the engine should not be started after this is done or it will flush all the coolant out. But just pour in the line until it starts to come out the pisser.

3. Next step is to fog the motor with fogging oil. Spray some in the carbs while it is running then shut it off and spray more in the spark plug holes.
    Question: Do I need to open the carbs off to spray the fogging oil?

You mean, give it more throttle while running or while its off open the throttle and spray some in there? Spraying some in there while its just at idle will be fine. It just keeps moisture out and seals from drying out.

General question: I live in Austin, Texas, and the weather will not go below freezing temperature, worst case we will have only a few days per winter. Do I still need to winterize my Ultra 150?

I live in college station, tx and never winterized my ski last year. The next season it started right up and never had a problem. Im not saying you shouldn't but it really doesnt get that cold in south texas. I always make sure all the water is completely out of the engine by starting the ski up a few times a week the first week i have put it up. Then you can just spray some wd-40 or fogging oil in the carbs and cyl's...

Thx.
    look above..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson7454 View Post
    Just spray some wd-40 in the carbs and inside the pistons. But fogging oil is just fine it just make it a little hard to start the next time. The fuel stabilizer is a most though...
    I would NEVER spray WD-40 into my engine! That stuff dries out and turns into a gummy mess. Come to think of it, there really isn't much I WOULD use WD-40 for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information