Exclamation cut out problems?

I have a 2001 polaris slh 700 and for some reason it cuts out and won't go wide open. like it hits a rev limiter but it's way too low only about 1/4 of throttle. so i tok the plugs out and cleaned them they are about new and don't appear to be filed out. also i ran some seafoam through the gas but it didn't seem to help. and one more problem. the electrical box had started smoking so i took the ski out of the water and opened it up and theres a glass tube fuse that the metal was melted but not yet busted and it burned the circuit board just a little bit. i think acc is written right under the spot. plz help!! i'm a car guy but that doesn't really help me on this... sounds kinda like an ignition coil type of problem??

+1
    Check the wiring in the box for damage.
    Is there a hole or possibly a bump in the CDI?
    Check your ground wires and battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

Oh and WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Make sure you keep the protective plastic cover in place on top of the battery. If the battery positive post touches the electrical box, it can cause a short that can damage wiring.

Smoke from the electrical box is bad. Check the wires and terminals carefully for burned spots or broken/loose connections.

You may need to remove the electrical components to check for damage on the back sides.

Do you have any warnings or buzzer when the engine limits power?

The Polaris Service Manual is here.

thanks for the welcome!
    i haven't seen or heard any buzzes or flashes when it cuts out but then again the gauges aern't working either. i'm definately gonna check out the electrical box a little more thorough tomorrow and i'll post what i find. thanks for the help so far!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshk5145 View Post
    ...the gauges aren't working either...
    There is a 1/4 Amp fuse inside the electrical box that powers the MFD display. Only replace it with another 1/4 Amp fuse.

It won't fix your engine power, but you might at least be able to see any warnings!

o and another question i believe my ski is 700cc 95 hp twin cylinder 2-stroke and whatnot.. is this a good engine to mod? again i am a newbie to ski's. what would be the first mods? intake and exhaust, jetting carbs? thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is a 1/4 Amp fuse inside the electrical box that powers the MFD display. Only replace it with another 1/4 Amp fuse.

It won't fix your engine power, but you might at least be able to see any warnings!
    thanks i'll check that out tomorrow and find a replacement!!!!

Thread Information