Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

DAMN WAVERAIDERS!! Backfiring badly.

Hi guys,i have a '96 raider 1100 i have just rebuilt with all new parts.When i start it,it seems to run very lean and backfires badly.It even popped out the rear crank seal,which i have just replaced grrr.The last time i ran it,it backfired so badly,it blew the 4" hose off the main exhaust chamber AND blew the rear storage bin to pieces! I know it's running lean.When i squirt fuel down the carbs,it runs much better.Could be airleak or maybe fuel pump problem.I've also changed inlet gaskets.Anyone had this backfiring problem before? Thanks for any help.

Oz. the fuel pump is rebuildable. but i really dont think that is it. I have a high pressure and regular one if you need one.......and when your engine was built did you pressure check it?, that would tell you if you have a leak. pull it out and check it, DONT start it again untill you check a few things,it can really do some damage... I can walk you through building the block offs,it is easy, .......on the rear seals did you go by the chilton book when you installed them, the picture in my book is wrong, .I called them and they said they are not responsible for the content in the book........WOW!!!! are your carbs rebuilt??? make sure there is no trash in your small filters inside the carbs.I t could also be the CDI, our skis are hard on them since they are bolted to the engine front cover,let us know....if you can list your mods to the engine...
    Last edited by BULLRAIDER; 04-05-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Hi Bullraider,thanks for your usual quick reply.I'm not aware of a Chilton book.However there are two different rear seals.One has 2 lips,the other,just one.The original fresh rear seal that blew out was an aftermarket one,so it was replaced with a genuine one,which cost me nearly $50! Anyway,the yammy techs say the double lipped seal sits next to the bearing.I've taken apart the pump.The diaphrams are a little creased,otherwise good.The ski just seems like it's not getting any fuel at all.I did clean the carbs,and blew out all the jets AND THROAT TRANSITION HOLES!! I will have to pull them off again to suss out the body filters.I'm sick off pulling the engine out,but i know i'll have to in order to leak test.When i bought the ski,it was running,with a blown piston.I hope it's not the CDI.It doesn't seem like an electrical fault,as it revs up when i squirt fuel down the carbs.The ski is totally stock,with new welded crank,1.00mm oversize pistons.Cheers.

Dang, Bull looks like I have something similar to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mvc-011f_208.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5232  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elebouef
    Dang, Bull looks like I have something similar to you.
    Have Bull tell you about his "special" water routing...

+1
    Weird thing but what spark plugs are in there....Make sure they are the recommended one's the BRH-11's I think not the BR8ES....or 9ES...

You said it does run or barely and just like's to back fire.

I spent 3 hours one time fighting a big backfire problem on a blaster and found it had the wrong plugs in ....swaped them and ran like nerw....who would know..

Something to check.

you just find the problem the crest on the check valve of the pump
    1100 use only one pump and the are real sensitive to these

do not use br8es or br9es use only br8hs if you have stock head

Yes use only the br8s if that is the stock head......I would try some new check valves, the crease is bad, Ele.I cant see the picture not quite sure yet why???, MIKE........thanks as always. remember to try the broom stick. trick..............man I cant wait to try out the Jet works mod.................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raider3_792.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	5234  

Yep,i use the stock br8hs plug,as i've got the stock head.I can't imagine the plugs being the prob though as the engine sounds good when i squirt fuel into the 3 carbs for a couple of seconds,then the engine struggles to run on its own and backfires when i open the throttle up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information