Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GPR Starter Problem/ My Custom Built Ski pic?

I just rebuilt the motor and the ski was running fine for along time but I got to Fla to do a photo shoot for AMp Energy and ride some but the ski wouldn't start (after the shoot... thank GOD). Sounded like a dead battery so I hooked it up to a charger and it started fine. Charged the Battery then unpluged it from the charger and tried to start and got nothing but one or two SLOW turn overs from the starter. I also noticed the hot wire was really REALLY HOT? Anyone run into this before. Friend of mine told me it might be a relay or something but I have no clue where to lookfirst time around with GPR. ANy Clue guys? Relay or burn't up starter?

Also how do I post a pic? like to see what you guys think of my Custom built ski. Acutally the first ski I have ever built.

+1
    get the starter motor out and check its not not seized by turning it by hand when disconnected from ski,if you have a bit of time you can get it out without removing to much off the ski parts wise...

posting photos..

write message,scroll down to manage attachments,click,click browse,select from your pc files the photo you want,upload pics,them post thread.

would love to see a pic or three so get posting

+1
    The starter will come out without taking anything off the ski. Just reach down there with a 10 mm to take the nut off the positive. Then take the two bolts off holding the starter on, pull on the starter to get it to pop off the cases. Simple should take 10 minutes.
    If you want to check the starter relay, before you even mess with the starter, take your rear electrical box off. Take the back cover off of it. Take a screw driver and jump the posts on the starter relay. If the starter turns over strong, then its the relay. If the starter does nothing, then your starter is bad. Another thing it can be is a bad ground, rare, but might want to check that the ground is on tight and the connectors are not corroded. Then the only other thing it can be is a bad battery. Get the battery tested at your local auto shop.
    I would do the latter part first before pulling the starter. Check everything else, then pull the starter as a last resort. You can even check the starter once you get out. I just strap them down to the bench and take a battery charger to it. Put the negative on the back of the starter and then hook up the positive. Then plug in the battery charger with a 10 or 50 amp charge. See if that starter spins over fast.
    It is very important to keep the battery full charged on these GPRs mostly because of the starter bendix. The starter not having a full jump can actually start tearing the teeth up on the starter bendix which can lead to other problems. So always leave your battery on a battery tender to make sure you have a full charge. Proper maintenance and up keep will keep most problems from occuring.
    Good luck.
    SHOOTER

Ok I think I got the picture thing down lol. Check out my custom Ski, let me know what you guys think. Took me 45 days from start to finish. I'm proud of it. The guys at AMP Energy are very pleased with it and the guys at JetRIM.com are happy to see their Electric Blue seat came out as good as it did. I'll have my friend check the starter out soon, I need to get it back in the water ASAP before it gets to cold down here. Thanks for the INFO though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before1.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	95701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818080853a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	95702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5224.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	95703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5496.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	95704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5498.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	95705  

Very nice ski!!!

I'll bet Jetrim is impressed with all the advertising space they got. Oh wait, thats their competition Hydroturf with all the decal space. LOL

+1
    sweet looking ski drew ,

thanks for posting pics

Well I wouldn't go that far and say they are competors. They both offer set covers i agree but Hydro is more mats. Both Hydro turf and Jetrim are fetured on my ski and I have spoken with both Corps. they don't really mind.And I have JetRIM logos features on the front and rear of the boat now, so they got plenty adver. room. I sent AMP, Protec, Riva, Jetrim, hydroturf and SBT pics for advertisement. That is what this ski was mainly built for advertisement. JetRim don't mind the hrdro-turf logos b/c they dont make mats and thats all thats fetured on this ski and HydroTurf didn't offer the AMP Elevate Blue we needed to build this ski. Turned out good though everyone one is happy....kind of a "peace offering" to them all haha. Now I just got to get the thing to run again lol. But when its all said and done it looks good and half the racers out there cross advertise as well so wth haha. In 45 days it was totally sanded down, installed all new pump parts, motor, new bars, custom painted, and lable'd. Trying to decide what to do with its twin brother its still stock colored. Well here are a few more pics. Any input is appreciated. I need a cool idea for gauges on both skis. Anyone heard or done any transfers or upgrades to your gauge clusters on GPR's?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0904081728.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	95745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113_1288.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	992.9 KB 
ID:	95746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug 31 2008 - VID00162_2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	95747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug 31 2008 - VID00162_1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	95748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	95749  

Oh yeah and thanks for the nice comments guys. Nice to hear fokes actually like something I built!! Why I do what I do. I hear enough rif-raf at work lol...prisioners haha

That is NICCCEEE!!! Great Job!...

+1
    Thats a good looking ski, really impressed with it. I like the color scheme. Make the twin blue with black hood and seat, Opposite of what the color scheme is on that one.
    Good luck with the starter issue.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information