Thread: Race Injury

+1

Race Injury

Man hurt in watercraft accident at Gardens

News Chief staff report

Published: Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 2:30 p.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 3:00 p.m.
    WINTER HAVEN - One man was injured and transported to Lakeland Regional Medical Center today following an accident during the Hot Water Tour watercraft competition at Cypress Gardens Adventure Park.

The accident occurred about 1 p.m.

Cypress Gardens spokeswoman Haley Kish said that during a Hot Water Tour race, one of the participants was cut off by another racer. This pushed the man in front of a ski jumping ramp.

A Polk County Fire Department spokeswoman said the injured man was airlifted to the hospital. His name was not immediately available.

Kish said Hot Water Tour officials continued with their event this afternoon. The competition started Saturday and was the first set of races in the 2008 National Highpoints Circuit.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Man hurt in watercraft accident at Gardens

News Chief staff report

Published: Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 2:30 p.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 3:00 p.m.
    WINTER HAVEN - One man was injured and transported to Lakeland Regional Medical Center today following an accident during the Hot Water Tour watercraft competition at Cypress Gardens Adventure Park.

The accident occurred about 1 p.m.

Cypress Gardens spokeswoman Haley Kish said that during a Hot Water Tour race, one of the participants was cut off by another racer. This pushed the man in front of a ski jumping ramp.

A Polk County Fire Department spokeswoman said the injured man was airlifted to the hospital. His name was not immediately available.

Kish said Hot Water Tour officials continued with their event this afternoon. The competition started Saturday and was the first set of races in the 2008 National Highpoints Circuit.

gotta love the press report....

heres my account of what happened since i was there. feel free to correct me if i am wrong

it was a flaw of the course design, it was bound to happen at some point. it was a red yellow red chicane turn and coming off the yellow if you got squirly or caught in someone's wash or chop you were heading straight for the ramp. the nose of the boat is crushed flat..... from what others have said, all 4 motor mounts sheared off from the impact and the motor was sitting in the nose of the boat.

the rider's name is Steve Oosternik (sp).

+1
    We wish Steve a postive and healthy recovery. He was recently taken off the ventilator and had surgery last week with multple impact injuries. He has a rough road ahead of him, and will need positive prayers and support. Eric L. is going to spearhead with fellow supporters a support program for donations on behalf of Steve at World Finals. If any of you hear anything about the donations and where to source, please post here so we can support Steve and his loved ones. Keep him in your thoughts, as I will and ours.
    Shawn

Thread Information