Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 Freedom no spark

I have a 2002 Freedom that will crank but not start. Some background:

Battery is 12.45 volt sitting, 11.44 when cranking.

New BPR8ES plugs (old plugs had black suit on tips of plugs and in plug boot, cleaned the suit off the boots).

Took plugs out and cranked engine with plugs grounded and see no spark.

Fuel level gauge is not working, this occured about three weeks ago.

SBT rebuilt engine is 2 years old with rebuilt carb (also 2 years old), premix gas/oil, no problems with it other than this past weekend no start condition.

When I did try to start it this weekend it started the first time then died after 5 seconds. would not restart. pulled plugs and they were wet with gas and a light gas spray would come out of cylinders.

Bilge pump 3A fuse will blow when the bilge buttom is pressed every time(this has been occuring all summer).

I have downloaded the manual, where do I start with this problem and is there a common problem for this condition so I can narrow down the starting problem. thanks in advance for any help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Try starting while holding the bilge button (blown fuse is not important). If it starts with the bilge button held down, then the LR-505 Start/Stop (and voltage) regulator may need replacing.

Unplug the Bilge pump connector, replace the fuse, press the Bilge button. If the fuse still blows, you have a short in the bilge pump wiring (Orange wire to the pump).

If the fuse does NOT blow when the bilge pump is disconnected, then you need to replace the bilge pump.

Let us know what you find.

I will try that, I assume the LR-505, start stop and voltage regulator are 3 different items in the electrical box or is it a single unit?
    thanks for the quick reply.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmarta View Post
    ...the LR-505, start stop and voltage regulator are 3 different items in the electrical box or is it a single unit?...
    All the same thing, part# 4010648.
    Item 24 in the diagram.

Not related to your no-start issue, but about your bilge pump.....I had an '01 Virage 700 where the fuse would blow every time I pressed the bilge button. Everything else on the ski worked fine. Turns out the bilge pump developed an internal short. Replaced with a new pump, and it worked fine.

no Spark

K447, finally got the 2002 Freedom home from the lake. tried holding down the bilge button while trying to start the engine. No luck, pulled plugs and tried the same thing to see if there was a spark and still no spark (tried starting with bilge button down and regular start without holding bilge button down). where do I go next.

Battery voltage is 12.85 sitting and 11.08 when cranking engine.

plugs are getting fuel.

Just no spark

Suggestions??

thanks in advance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...Unplug the Bilge pump connector, replace the fuse, press the Bilge button. If the fuse still blows, you have a short in the bilge pump wiring (Orange wire to the pump).

If the fuse does NOT blow when the bilge pump is disconnected, then you need to replace the bilge pump...
    Have you done this test?

We need to figure out if one thing is causing all your problems, or if several separate things have gone wrong;
    - Bilge pump fuse blows when button pressed.
    - Fuel gauge does not work
    - No spark.

Put a multi-meter on the Orange wire and ground. Do you have 12 volt power when the bilge button is pressed?

just tried this:

new 3 amp fuse, disconnected wire connection to pump, pressed bilge button several times and the fuse did NOT blow (probably short in actual pump)

placed voltmeter in disconnected bilge pump wire and get 12 volts when pump button is pushed.

Pressed bilge button and fuel gauge needle goes up to half tank which is the correct level.

tested ohm readings at Start stop switch and tether switch per repair manual page 7.16 and get correct ohm readings and open reading when tested

Get no voltage in two Black/White wires leading from CDI to Ignition coil when cranking engine with tether attached

Get 4.92 volt on Black/Yellow wire running from LR505 to CDI unit when tether attached and ZERO volts when Tether removed.

I am trying to isolate circuits but definitely need your advice and direction

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmarta View Post
    ...holding down the bilge button while trying to start the engine...
    Do this test again, with the bilge pump still disconnected, and the fuse in place.

Keep the voltmeter connected to bilge pump wires, and confirm 12 volts on Orange wire while bilge button pressed down AND engine cranking (and lanyard IN PLACE).

If 12 volts on Orange, and still no start, then check that all the other Orange wires are properly connected, all with 12 volts when the bilge button is pressed, especially the Orange wire that connects to the Red/Purple wire feeding the CDI.

It is looking like your LR-505 Start/Stop module has gone bad, or some wire(s) connected to it have come loose.

K447, tried the following

bilge pump still disconnected, and the fuse in place. Kept the voltmeter connected to bilge pump wires, and confirm 12 volts on Orange wire while bilge button pressed down AND engine cranking (and lanyard IN PLACE).

I got 10.89 to 11.10 volts when performing the above cranking the engine. get 12.40 when just pressing the bildge button. No Start.

checking the orange wires now but don't see where an orange goes to the Red/Purple wire goes to CDI?

thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information