Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Exclamation Sho Handling/safety Issue

Mods, u might want to post this on the safety threads and the SEA Doo as well, but i wanted to include it here as i think it's important to rider safety.

Prolly my favorite performance aspect of my SHO is its handling....this cruise ship pulls impressive G's in the corners (as do most of the current crops high-perf skis). there is a problem when u start doing these high-G maneuvers when ur low on fuel at high speed............the fuel in the tank can roll away from the fuel pick-up and yep...u guessed it....the motor shuts off from sucking air----which leads to total loss of control of ur ski. H2HO, SHODude, and myself were carving the twisties in Kissimmee when this happened to me, i went on the fuel buzzer but i wanted to get 1 more slalom run in b4 i went back to the ramp to refuel. I was taking the turn about 55-57 mph when the engine just died and the ski turned straight into the trees/shoreline!!!!

U want to talk about sphincter-pucker time?!?! I slammed the reverse bucket down and cranked the start button down continuously....ski fired up and i jammed my sub/braking maneuver...while ducking down.
    The ski cavitated and bit hard......so did the tree branches....they broke some of my momentum and i only very lightly (amazingly) touched the hull to some tree roots at the shoreline....leaving some moderate scratches on the hull but also a huge reminder to me of how unexpected things can happen while riding.

So as H2HO and SHOdude pulled up....they see me with leaves and broken branches all over my ski....wondering WTF happened. They were nice enough to follow me abck to the ramp to make sure i didnt run out of fuel.....

I was very lucky as this could have been a lot worse...both for me and the ski. And it happened to another member as well with his modded SD GTX, high G-turn with low-fuel = no control when motor dies.

Moral of the story is: When ur low on fuel,hold off on the aggressive carving until u get more fuel, as u can roll the fuel away from the pick-up and lose total control of ur ski!!!

Ramming speed Mr Zulu! TeamYamSHO's Avatar
    Damn RIP!
    Glad it wasn't worse and i'm glad you and your ski are okay along with your friends.
    Things like this you don't really expect to happen, but things ALWAYS happen that you won't expect. Just a lesson for all of us.
    Thank you for sharing this info with all of us, it will prove very useful, just sucks u had to find out that way.

P.S. I only go on the fuel buzzer to do speed runs anyway! lol

Damn that sucks to hear man! Thanks for the heads up tho. I'll keep that in mind next time I ride.

WHY THESE MANUFACTURERS DON'T RUN THE FUEL LINES TO THE VERY REAR LOWEST POINT OF THE TANK IS BEYOND ME? These tanks typically have a few gallons left in them when you're suckin air.

New Hampshire Physically, Maine/Canada Mentally!
    WOWWWWWWWWWW

I am glad you are ok RIP. The ski can be replaced... you cannot.

+1
    what, no video????

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    what, no video????
    oh hi d-ckhead troll!! blah blah blah....blah blah blah.......always nice to get ur input......

back on topic

+1
    Damn Rip. Glad you are ok. I am realy glad you posted this. With 5 gallons left when the buzzer comes on I usually ride on it for a while before refueling. Guess I better rethink that practice.

I think YoYamma was just yankin your chain a little. Don't think he was trying to be be a dick. I dunno... it's hard to read tone on the interwebs.

Again thanks for the very usefull info. You may save someone from SEVERE injury.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Damn Rip. Glad you are ok. I am realy glad you posted this. With 5 gallons left when the buzzer comes on I usually ride on it for a while before refueling. Guess I better rethink that practice.

I think YoYamma was just yankin your chain a little. Don't think he was trying to be be a dick. I dunno... it's hard to read tone on the interwebs.

Again thanks for the very usefull info. You may save someone from SEVERE injury.
    After this happened to myself and another rider....on the same day....i knew i had to get this posted on GH. I'm a trauma ICU RN so i see ppl come in all effed up from any number of things....including gunshots, stabbings, mvc's, burns, motorcycle, and yes......PWC's.

If some1 could post this on some of the other sites as well....that would be cool. Even if it keeps one person from getting hurt...whats that worth?

oh...and Me and Yamma have 'web' history...he's always busting my b-lls about the vids i shoot and using bold-type.......but when u look at the foundation of his posts u see that he never has anything positive to add to a thread......this is where the term "internet troll" comes from and it's the reason he was kicked off the Kawi threads.....

It's my sincere wish that he continues his bullsh-t so we can kick him off the Yammi threads as well

+1
    Thanks for the heads-up RIP.
    Another PWC Widow-Maker exposed!!
    Glad your all togehter.
    Dean
    PS it's on OZPWC.COM
    Last edited by Gunna; 09-22-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: ,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information