It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Exclamation Sho Handling/safety Issue

Mods, u might want to post this on the safety threads and the SEA Doo as well, but i wanted to include it here as i think it's important to rider safety.

Prolly my favorite performance aspect of my SHO is its handling....this cruise ship pulls impressive G's in the corners (as do most of the current crops high-perf skis). there is a problem when u start doing these high-G maneuvers when ur low on fuel at high speed............the fuel in the tank can roll away from the fuel pick-up and yep...u guessed it....the motor shuts off from sucking air----which leads to total loss of control of ur ski. H2HO, SHODude, and myself were carving the twisties in Kissimmee when this happened to me, i went on the fuel buzzer but i wanted to get 1 more slalom run in b4 i went back to the ramp to refuel. I was taking the turn about 55-57 mph when the engine just died and the ski turned straight into the trees/shoreline!!!!

U want to talk about sphincter-pucker time?!?! I slammed the reverse bucket down and cranked the start button down continuously....ski fired up and i jammed my sub/braking maneuver...while ducking down.
    The ski cavitated and bit hard......so did the tree branches....they broke some of my momentum and i only very lightly (amazingly) touched the hull to some tree roots at the shoreline....leaving some moderate scratches on the hull but also a huge reminder to me of how unexpected things can happen while riding.

So as H2HO and SHOdude pulled up....they see me with leaves and broken branches all over my ski....wondering WTF happened. They were nice enough to follow me abck to the ramp to make sure i didnt run out of fuel.....

I was very lucky as this could have been a lot worse...both for me and the ski. And it happened to another member as well with his modded SD GTX, high G-turn with low-fuel = no control when motor dies.

Moral of the story is: When ur low on fuel,hold off on the aggressive carving until u get more fuel, as u can roll the fuel away from the pick-up and lose total control of ur ski!!!

Ramming speed Mr Zulu! TeamYamSHO's Avatar
    Damn RIP!
    Glad it wasn't worse and i'm glad you and your ski are okay along with your friends.
    Things like this you don't really expect to happen, but things ALWAYS happen that you won't expect. Just a lesson for all of us.
    Thank you for sharing this info with all of us, it will prove very useful, just sucks u had to find out that way.

P.S. I only go on the fuel buzzer to do speed runs anyway! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Mods, u might want to post this on the safety threads and the SEA Doo as well, but i wanted to include it here as i think it's important to rider safety.

Prolly my favorite performance aspect of my SHO is its handling....this cruise ship pulls impressive G's in the corners (as do most of the current crops high-perf skis). there is a problem when u start doing these high-G maneuvers when ur low on fuel at high speed............the fuel in the tank can roll away from the fuel pick-up and yep...u guessed it....the motor shuts off from sucking air----which leads to total loss of control of ur ski. H2HO, SHODude, and myself were carving the twisties in Kissimmee when this happened to me, i went on the fuel buzzer but i wanted to get 1 more slalom run in b4 i went back to the ramp to refuel. I was taking the turn about 55-57 mph when the engine just died and the ski turned straight into the trees/shoreline!!!!

U want to talk about sphincter-pucker time?!?! I slammed the reverse bucket down and cranked the start button down continuously....ski fired up and i jammed my sub/braking maneuver...while ducking down.
    The ski cavitated and bit hard......so did the tree branches....they broke some of my momentum and i only very lightly (amazingly) touched the hull to some tree roots at the shoreline....leaving some moderate scratches on the hull but also a huge reminder to me of how unexpected things can happen while riding.

So as H2HO and SHOdude pulled up....they see me with leaves and broken branches all over my ski....wondering WTF happened. They were nice enough to follow me abck to the ramp to make sure i didnt run out of fuel.....

I was very lucky as this could have been a lot worse...both for me and the ski. And it happened to another member as well with his modded SD GTX, high G-turn with low-fuel = no control when motor dies.

Moral of the story is: When ur low on fuel,hold off on the aggressive carving until u get more fuel, as u can roll the fuel away from the pick-up and lose total control of ur ski!!!
    thats crazy you think they would of noticed this in development of the ski and fixed it. They test drove this hard? before putting it in the hands of consumers..............

+1
    Thank you for sharing your experince. This is an oh so real situation that any PWC rider can experience.

During the radar runs at Mudbug this year, ICEDOG10's son was making a run. He got the ok to go, well, I heard his low fuel beeper before he took off. He was trying to make one ore run while low on fuel. Well, it was too low. He tok off, the fuel went to the back of the tank, [similar scenario], the ski loss fuel pickup just as he was about 50-60mph, then regained suction again quickly and caught him off guard and the ski was already darted to the right from the low of propulsion. Well, it threw him off violently and all we could see from either end of the radar alley was hands and legs in the air. Scary moment....well, we all rushed to his aid and luckily all he was was a very sore shoulder and ribside....nothing broke.

But, to concur, YES, things can happen in a very very short time frame [split second]. when we ride our PWC, we need to be very aware of our surroundings and think fast. Don't consume alcohol as this can impair judgement.

Rip'n'Tear, I am glad it wasn't worse. thanks for sharing your message for others to learn from.

+1
    The Two-Stroke guys use these to help prevent loss of suction. I'm not exactly sure how it can be done on a four stroke
    But fuel clunks are basically what lawntools have so you can flip the in any direction.
    Pistonwash's modification
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=fuel+clunks

Ramnj's modification
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=fuel+clunks

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    thx guys......even if it helps 1 person.........

had to get this posted because it happened to 2 of us that day...other rider was on a modified GTX doing aggressive carving with low fuel....same thing....ski just died...

Thread Information