Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Make My SL750 fly!

Hi,

Now that I've got my '92 SL650/750 working pretty well, I want to make it faster. Looking for flatwater speed here, I don't expect to do 60mph in chop....

What I've done so far: Swapped out the motor for a 95 SL750, rejetted the carbs, removed the choke, installed primer, 65 lph fuel pump, gutted most of the original F/A setup (It's pretty similar to the '95 F/A's now, without the downturned end cap-I just took off all that stupid stuff that the '92 had), and an extended pump with trim. The pump has the 4 blade Polaris impeller 5131079 in it.

Currently I'm seeing (I think, just going on memory) 48mph on gps, with just under 6,200rpm, in flat water.

What I'm thinking about doing: SLX ride plate, HotSeat waterbox, 2 or 4 degree wedge, aftermarket f/a's, different impeller. Need suggestions on the impeller! Toying with the idea of bigger carbs (Randy said that was worth pursuing).

I'm surprised that everybody I've talked to so far has shot down the waterbox, when Harry Klemm said it was one of his first mods! I know, a lot of people don't like the noise. I'm one of them. Didn't like the gutted boxes on my Kawi's. But they sure moved faster!

I'm pretty sure the waterbox wont do anything for you. Why not do something to the SLX? You'll prob get better gains.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    The water box is like 12 pounds lighter but gives no noticeable power gains. Some people love the sound. Go with at least the 4 degree wedge. I run a 6 degree in my 750 and love the ride. Never really in water thats too choppy though. The SLX ride plate is a nice cheap way to go. did you do reed spacers I hope while you were in there. That four blade you have isn't bad and comes on the 95 SLX but I'm sure you can find better if you wanna spend some more cash.

+1
    If you do decide you want a waterbox let me know.

sound of the waterbox on zomgvtek's shitbox

+1
    Yep, sounds a lot like the gutted Kawi boxes I made! I guess I'll hafta try it with and without, see what it does for revs and speed.

I forgot to mention, I did the reed stuffers, but not the reed spacers. Any gains from the spacers? What about aftermarket or recut stock heads?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The spacers will help. The modded heads will give low end pwr.
    Larger carbs as Randy mentioned will help. Cylinder porting will help. Dry pipe will help.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    This set up has yielded 54 MPH on GPS in flat water. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39861

I am one of those against the A/M waterbox. Tried the DG (GroupK used) in a side by side comparison and actually lost 50 RPM on top. It does help acceleration though.

+1
    I also had no notice on top end with waterbox. Better mid range though. Try a nujet 5.0. Easy 1mph on my slx. Also, on my 96slx I extrude honed the exhaust manifold and got maybe .5mph top end and was able to pull hard in the mid range.

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    785 CDI / coils

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information