+1

Hours climbing. Reg/Rec bad?

My hours climbed from 58hrs to 160 some hrs this summer!!

Other problems, probably related.

1. Hours increased
    2. Voltage while riding was in the 16v range
    3. Had to replace a one year old battery, which had been properly maintained (other than what seems overcharging)

I barely had time to sleep and eat this summer, yet alone burn only two tanks of fuel through my ski!! Something is not right.

#2 and #3 lead me to the Reg/Rec or LR module instinctively, but the hours climbing make me think it could be a CDI deal. Maybe it's just the LR feeding volts through the CDI.

Anyone else seen this?

And can a guy apply power to the MFD to run past 999hrs and back to 58? Don't really care what it says either way, but is that even possible?

+1
    I'd replace the regulator. Anytime you're charging over 14.8 at the battery it's too much. Verify your grounds are good and clean.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    My hours climbed from 58hrs to 160 some hrs this summer!!

Other problems, probably related.

1. Hours increased
    2. Voltage while riding was in the 16v range
    3. Had to replace a one year old battery, which had been properly maintained (other than what seems overcharging)

I barely had time to sleep and eat this summer, yet alone burn only two tanks of fuel through my ski!! Something is not right.

#2 and #3 lead me to the Reg/Rec or LR module instinctively, but the hours climbing make me think it could be a CDI deal. Maybe it's just the LR feeding volts through the CDI.

Anyone else seen this?

And can a guy apply power to the MFD to run past 999hrs and back to 58? Don't really care what it says either way, but is that even possible?
    The CDI does not affect the MFD hours meter.

The MFD only knows about the Yellow wire from the stator. It watches the Yellow wire for the AC RPM signal that indicates that the engine is rotating. This signal wakes up the MFD, and starts the hour meter counting.

When the Yellow wire no longer has an AC signal, the MFD is supposed to stop counting hours. After five minutes of no signal, it should go to 'sleep'.

Do check your actual battery voltage with a multi-meter. With engine off, wake up the MFD (push a button). The MFD voltage and the multi-meter voltage (measured at the battery posts) should be similar readings. About 12.5 volts for a fully charged, healthy conventional lead-acid battery, and 12.8 volts for a sealed AGM type battery (which is a better type of battery).

The MFD voltage may read a couple of tenths higher or lower than the multi-meter. If it is a big difference in readings, then the MFD is out of calibration, or there is something wrong.

Now start the engine. Multi-meter voltage should jump to right around 14 volts, and stay in the 14.0 to 14.5 range as the engine revs. MFD should show similar voltage readings.

If the battery voltage rises above 14.5 volts, especially above 15 volts, then the LR regulator, or its wiring, has a problem, or is not grounded properly.

If the voltage with the engine running does not get above 13 volts, then the LR regulator is not working. Check wiring and ground. Also disconnect and check stator coil Red/Purple to Yellow ohms. If they seem good, then replace regulator.

Shut the engine down, and watch the hour meter. It should NOT advance while the engine is not running, not even 0.1 hours. If it does, there is something funky going on. Also, the RPM reading should be zero as soon as the engine stops.

There is an MFD reset technique that can be applied using the front panel buttons. It will not reset the hour meter, but it can help with incorrect MFD voltage readings. Info is in the Tech or FAQ sections.

The Yellow wire that feeds the RPM signal to the MFD is ALSO the charging wire that feeds into the LR regulator. If the regulator was injecting some sort of electrical noise onto the Yellow wire when the engine was NOT running, that could cause the MFD hour meter to keep running.

Thread Information