Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBT

SBT

Anyone have any feedback on them. I am in the process of finding a good 02+ gp hull and was looking for a motor. I wanted to build my own so I don't have to go through any bs failures and The price on oem parts are higher than I expected. Came across their site and 1800 isnt bad for a complete 1300 motor. I have been searching and reading through the site (very informative might I add) and I see a few people doing their own builds and eliminating alot of future headaches with the pv motors

Looking for your experience on this. Trying to build a reliable craft I can mod without having to worry that simple rough weather or a few rough runs will damage it..

Thanks in advanced...

+1
    i would post a wanted advert in the yami classi section if i were you,
    you have some of the best engine builders about on this forum and with the gprxp conversions a plenty there's gotta be a few nice gpr lumps around......

this has got to be a far far better route than sbt

Your post sounds as if you don't have a core motor now?

+1
    i have 40 hrs on my SBT motor....running strong...no problems so far at all!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    i would post a wanted advert in the yami classi section if i were you,
    you have some of the best engine builders about on this forum and with the gprxp conversions a plenty there's gotta be a few nice gpr lumps around......

this has got to be a far far better route than sbt
    well that is my plan b depending on the feedback I get about companies I'm interested in firstly. I am looking for something reliable and with a warranty more importantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Your post sounds as if you don't have a core motor now?
    I do not but depending on what the hull comes with this might change.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostCrzy View Post
    i have 40 hrs on my SBT motor....running strong...no problems so far at all!!...

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for.

any issues with shipping?? How is their customer service when it comes down to questions you asked??

Well for SBT to be an option you better have a core motor . I would def look for a complete ski!

We have two 99 xl 1200 ltds that we bought with blown motors. We put SBT motors in them. If I knew then what I know now, we would not have done it. Not necessarily because the motors are bad, but because they change something inside the motors (sorry I don't know exact terminology, others can probably tell you exactly what I am talking about) - the cylinders or somthing then are no longer the same size - so if you have problems down the road, after warranty is no good anymore, you can't just get used ones from someone who has an extra - you have to buy theirs.

On the first motor - we put it in November of 06. Put motor in and it blew before we finished breaking it in. They replaced it without a problem, but we had to buy a box and pay for shipping which was almost $100. Plus then you have ALL the work of pulling the motor AGAIN and putting new in. Husband had the 2nd motor all ready to install (cause you have to take your parts off and put them on the new motor) when he noticed the motor had been dropped and corner was cracked off. Had to box it and send it back. Now, in their credit, they did pay for shipping this time as it was dropped prior to shipping - they didn't argue either and try to blame us. The third motor ran good - we just blew it up, but it was our fault - left plugs out and sunk it. They took it back again without question. Our warranty is good until November. We had to, of course, pay to ship the bad motor to them. They pay to ship the new one to you.

So, if you have to ship a motor back to them under warranty, you pay to ship it to them. Once they recieve the motor it takes several weeks for them to process the motor and check it over. Once it is diagnosed they then send you out a new one. This last one we got took about a month to get it turned around because they were out of motors. It was mid season though.

The motor for the 2nd ski - we just bought it in June. It is running great - we had other issues with the ski we had to work out, but motor is fine. With shipping, tax, & warranty the total was closer to $2100. You might not have to pay tax - we are in Florida so had to pay.

Hope this helps.

SBT is fine for average recreational riding. If you plan to mod it at all and or run it hard, look elsewhere. SBT sleeves their cylinders, not as good of heat transfer as nikasil. Their has also been a few guys on here that had issues with their cranks.

+1
    Nothing wrong with SBT motors. Only their 951 seadoo motors, other than that, they have good motors.
    They bore the cylinders out and put larger pistons in. Thats the only thing different from an oem motor and a SBT motor.
    Their warrany is great. Can't beat it, you sink it, blow it up, grenade it, doesn't matter, they take it back. You just cannot unbolt anything off the shortblock.
    $2100 and you got 3 motors? Think about it, a shop would have charged you over $3000, plus $500 each time they had to pull and put a new motor in. On top of that, most shops take on the average of 1 to 2 months to get your ski back. So all in all, you didn't do too bad during mid summer.
    I am with Voodoo, for the average rec rider, SBT is not a bad deal at all. If you want to modify, you can't do anything to the motor as that would void your warranty, so basically its for rec use.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.sig View Post

any issues with shipping?? How is their customer service when it comes down to questions you asked??

I actually bought the ski from a shop that installed the motor for a previous owner.......but i have had no problems at all...warranty was never used...the motor see's 7k rpm and 70mph EVERY time i ride.....i also noticed they put the updated powervalves in so theres no worrying about them dropping... ...maybe i got lucky?....lol....but i wouldnt hesitate for a second getting another one from them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information