Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ok this is interesting....

I did a fair amount of work on my 96GSX. Cleaned the fuel system, rebuilt the carbs yada yada yada. The GSX ran great EXCEPT for the RAVE valves opening at around 42-4500 rpm. The adjuster caps were set flush so I tweaked them in about 4 clicks. No change. Clicked them in another 4 clicks, no change. Clicked them in another 4 clicks and no change. Got tired of this so I cranked them down about 1/4 inch from the top of the rave ....... SIGH .... care to guess the result? ....Yup no change..... I removed the RAVE valves and cleaned the blades checked the bellows for any cracking, none found. Checked the opening to the bellows and it was clear. Replaced the o rings with OEM parts including new RAVE gaskets...and did the whole process over again..... NO CHANGE.... Soooo oh wise ones...any therory's?
    MaxDoc

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Are the springs under the caps?

Mr. 96xpss

Yes sir they are! That is what really makes this strange....
    MaxDoc

"GSX ran great EXCEPT for the RAVE valves opening at around 42-4500 rpm. "

Based on your comment, are you trying to adjust the RAVE valves opening before 42-4500 or after. You need to be more concise. Try and turn the RAVE out and the water regulator in.

Quote Originally Posted by maxdoc View Post
    Yes sir they are! That is what really makes this strange....
    MaxDoc
    Ok, then what would cause them to open prematurely no matter where the caps were set? Since it opens on exhaust pressure...I bet you have a restriction in your exhaust. Check the crossover hose first, then remove the waterbox and shake it to see if a baffle is loose.

Mr. Seapoo & Mr. 96XPSS

Mr Seapoo... I am trying to get the RAVE valves to open at around 5500 like Mr. 96XPSS indicated in a previous post. No matter what I did, turn the adjusters in or out there was no change in the rpm range when the RAVE valves open. Thanks for the reply!

Mr. 96XPSS I will check the crossover and water box as that makes sense! Thanks for the assist!

MaxDoc

What makes you so sure they are opening up at 4,200 - 4,500 RPM? Perhaps the increase in torque (or whatever is happening that makes you think RAVE's are opening too early) is the result of the changing fuel circuits in the carb from low to high (going from low speed screw to main jet and high speed screw).

Mr. Seapoo

A little backgound...After cleaning the fuel system, rebuilding the carbs, new plugs etc, I took it out for a spin on the water. The day was calm and the water was as flat as Twiggy. I checked the low speed setting after 5 min. of cruising around at just under 1/4 throttle. Pulled the lanyard and checked the plugs. All looked great. I then tested the acceleration on both a hard throttle and soft throttle run. The hard throttle run was great it whipped right out of the hole and went to full throttle without any hesitation at all. The soft throttle was a different story. The boat accelerated smoothly until 4200-4500 then it really took off, like a turbo reaching spooling. I can see going to the different fuel circuts but I would not expect that drastic of a change.

My 97gsx is far more behaved at the 42-4500 rpm range and does not hit like my 96 does until 53-5500 rpm. When I posted this situation the consensus was the RAVE valves are opening to early. What stumped me is the fact the boat behaves like this no matter what setting the RAVE valves are adjusted at. I tweaked them almost all the way down and no difference in the boats performance. There should have been some noticable change with the RAVE valve adjustment settings pinched down.

MaxDoc

Take the springs from the 97 GSX and try them in the xp. If there is no difference, take the bellows and try those, etc, etc. Keep switching parts to narrow down what exactly is wrong with the RAVE's on the XP. Sounds like a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Take the springs from the 97 GSX and try them in the xp. If there is no difference, take the bellows and try those, etc, etc. Keep switching parts to narrow down what exactly is wrong with the RAVE's on the XP. Sounds like a good idea?
    If you wish to waste this time to get to the same conclusion I already have, swap the whole assemblies to accomplish the least amount wasted...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information