Cut MFD open, now what?

I have a round mfd that cooked the power diodes last year, I cut it open, and found the diodes that were cooked, but couldnt figure out what replacement parts to buy.

So I bought another mfd on ebay, a year later same thing all over again, now I have two bad mfd s.

Will someone please tell me what specific diodes I need?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anrkii View Post
    I have a round MFD that cooked the power diodes last year, I cut it open, and found the diodes that were cooked, but couldn't figure out what replacement parts to buy.

So I bought another MFD on ebay, a year later same thing all over again, now I have two bad mfd s.

Will someone please tell me what specific diodes I need?
    Do you have any idea what is causing the MFD diodes to fail?

Have you been using an automotive battery charger or boosting the PWC battery to start the engine?

What size fuse do you have in the electrical box for the MFD circuit?
    Should be 1/4 Amp fuse, no larger.

Do you have a part number from the diodes?
    Clear photo of the diodes?

Are you comfortable installing replacement diodes on the circuit board?

Where are you located?

I have ryanbgb22's SLX 1200 MFD cracked open. When i get some time im going to trouble shoot it and see if i can find anything wrong with it.

All i know is theres diodes that commonly fail? The diodes appear to be in good condition, but i will check and replace them anyways.

Its a different MFD, but i would assume its at least comparable in terms of what fails.

I have a 1/4 amp inline fuse on the power wire to the mfd. the first unit kept blowing the fuses until it quit, the second unit did the same thing, each time it took a year to do so.

charging system runs right at 14v, and I always remove the fuse before using any charger or booster.

I am very competent with a soldering iron, but I have no diode part #s.
    there are two very small square diodes right off of the main circuit voltage supply pin. being fried, there are no part numbers left..

Im having a hard time getting anyone to cooperate and just tell me what to get as a replacement part, everyone that knows how to fix mfds wants to make money off of them.

anyway, I think they are plain old diodes, but i have no idea what values to get.

Quote Originally Posted by anrkii View Post
    I have a 1/4 amp inline fuse on the power wire to the mfd. the first unit kept blowing the fuses until it quit, the second unit did the same thing, each time it took a year to do so.

charging system runs right at 14v, and I always remove the fuse before using any charger or booster.

I am very competent with a soldering iron, but I have no diode part #s.
    there are two very small square diodes right off of the main circuit voltage supply pin. being fried, there are no part numbers left..

Im having a hard time getting anyone to cooperate and just tell me what to get as a replacement part, everyone that knows how to fix mfds wants to make money off of them.

anyway, I think they are plain old diodes, but i have no idea what values to get.
    As long as they arent zener's i would assume a standard 'radio shack' diode would work just fine. The different part numbers on the diodes have very similar specs. Can you tell if they look like a glass diode or a black one?

If its dead currently anyways, i would just throw some radioshack diodes in it.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I have a couple of round ones to work on,as soon as I get a chance I'll open one up and get the #,might be a day or two.

Thread Information