+1

MSX 140HP Question

Still searching the ads for another ski, and havent decided on a slx 1200 or a msx 140Hp. What mods can be done to the MSX and what speeds can I get out of it?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlharrison60 View Post
    Still searching the ads for another ski, and havent decided on a slx 1200 or a msx 140Hp. What mods can be done to the MSX and what speeds can I get out of it?
    i think the ? you need to ask your self is ----
    how comfortable do i want to be at **mph for ** miles????????
    ya feel me
    mattman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Still searching the ads for another ski, and haven't decided on a SLX 1200 or a MSX 140Hp.
    What mods can be done to the MSX and what speeds can I get out of it?
    I have a 2004 MSX 140 (1192cc), and a pair of 2002 Virage TXi (1165cc) - all Ficht fuel injected.

The 2004 MSX in bone stock form will run 60+mph on GPS. There are some threads discussing the possible tweaks for the MSX, but all together you are maybe going to breech 65mph.

The 2003 MSX 140 in stock form is a bit heavier in the nose, and has a slower ride plate. Overall not quite as fast stock. Ride plate can be swapped, and the extra weight may not be a bad thing in rough water.

The Ficht fuel injected engines do not (yet) have any mods that will significantly boost engine power. That may change, but at the moment the only proven way to boost the MSX engine is to convert it to carburetors. There was a special production of converted MSX 140 known as the Matrix. Only a few in existence, and every so often someone coverts another MSX hull to more power. Sometimes not Polaris power.

The longer length and deeper vee of the MSX hull make for a smooth ride in choppy waters. This is the best rough water hull Polaris ever made.

The SLX hull is a much shorter, two seater design with a very flat bottom. Much more playful on smoother water, and a far more pounding and bouncy ride on rough waters.

SLX top speed stock is also 60+mph, but there are more engine tweaks possible, including full on triple pipes.

+1
    The one im looking at is a 2003 msx 140. Are there any problems with this year make?

+1

Cool

make sure someone run's vin # for all update,if you takr care of it it will run for many hr's,great on fuel

later cd

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

2003 MSX 140 Service Bulletin notes, known issues and fixes

The one I'm looking at is a 2003 MSX 140.
    Are there any problems with this year?
    There seems to be a lot more 2003 than 2004 MSX 140 available on the used market.

2003 was a tough first model year for the MSX 140, and Polaris issued a number of important Service Bulletins. Call a Polaris dealer with the HIN number, and verify that ALL the outstanding Service Bulletins for that HIN have been completed.

Several of the Bulletins were rather important for safety or reliability, so you really want to know they have been covered. Some were checks or fixes that you might be able to do yourself, others were more involved, and required expensive replacement parts.

If you can get a printed description of each of the Service Bulletins that should have been done, it will help you understand what to look for.

Of course, all the usual checks and caveats of buying a used PWC still apply. Compression check, hull cracks, engine hours, possible abuse or poor maintenance, etc.

Here are some notes I have accumulated regarding the MSX 140
    ...cast flywheel had problems until 2004, deeper grooves inside, magnets better retained.

April 2003; Service bulletins sent out by Polaris. There are two different ones depending when your machine was built. One is for the EMM, flywheel, seat post and exhaust clamps. The second has these and a TPS rewiring kit and a front door post replacement.

TPS spring and wiring harness re-route. Front hood post was replaced. The EMM was replaced, no injectors needed. Seat post/tow hook was replaced, they enlarged the hole to 7/8 of an inch. Replace the flywheel and flywheel key (stator is just inspected). Also adjust the steering post.

Reprogrammed EMM (no injector change)
    New flywheel and key
    New TPS spring and wiring reroute
    New front hood latch post
    New seat latch post and tow hook
    Steering post adjustment

2003 pump intake grate often fails with cracked vanes
    Flame arrester cover contacting the air temp sensor (trim plastic web to clear sensor)

Flame arrestor cover has a sleeve/spacer on the bolt, sleeve can drop into throttle body and jam.
    Fuel lines rubbing on 2003 MSX, recall issue;

2003-04 MSX 140 PWC: Clearance between fuel return hoses and fuel injector brackets is insufficient. Contact may create one or more wear or abrasion points in the hoses, allowing fuel to leak into engine compartment. This creates possibility of fire/explosion if ignition source is present.

Last edited by K447; 06-22-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Thread Information