Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 GTX--Need questions answered

I am looking at a 2004 gtx. I haven't drove it yet but he says it reads 70 on the speedo. I have a 2005 RXT. I see some differences in the two.
    It has a yellow shroud on the motor and says it can run on 87 octane.

The supercharger housing is painted bright red. He also says it runs 8000 RPM. Has 70 hours on it. He is a younger guy who just drove it and knows nothing about it. He actually thought he had a 215 2005 GTX.
    I suspect that it may in fact run 8000 rpm and 70 mph on speedo as the RED SC housing makes me think its aftermarket.
    Any thoughts?

Depending on how experienced you are and knowing what to look for, I would definately have someone who lives near by who has owned a Sea Doo to assist you before you buy this ski. There are lots of things that need to be taken into consideration as well as the price.

You haven't mentioned price. Have the supercharger washers been replaced. What condition is it in. The speedo is not all that accurate, mine was hitting over 69 in stock condition while the GPS was showing 65.2. Also, it does not read any higher than 70. I may be wrong, but I do not think that the red means the charger is aftermarket but I will leave that to someone else. Has he serviced and changed oil / flushed properly. Was it a freshwater or saltwater use ski? Really not a lot to go on in your post. Price is really the key, there are a lot of HUGE deals out there on ski's newer than 2004 and you can get in on a well modified stage 2 or 3 or even turbo'd ski for incredible prices right now. Post some more particulars and you may get some better information. In the end, Red Devil's advice is probably the best.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kragar View Post
    I am looking at a 2004 gtx. I haven't drove it yet but he says it reads 70 on the speedo. I have a 2005 RXT. I see some differences in the two.
    It has a yellow shroud on the motor and says it can run on 87 octane.

The supercharger housing is painted bright red. He also says it runs 8000 RPM. Has 70 hours on it. He is a younger guy who just drove it and knows nothing about it. He actually thought he had a 215 2005 GTX.
    I suspect that it may in fact run 8000 rpm and 70 mph on speedo as the RED SC housing makes me think its aftermarket.
    Any thoughts?

2004 GTX SC
    Red SC
    185 HP
    NON-IC'd
    7650rpm rev limit
    64-65mph GPS
    Yellow Valve cover

It probably still has the OEM ceramic washers in it. If he says 8000 rpm, take it out for a ride to verify...

sounds just like mine when i first had it....

rev limit was 7600 so if he has more i question it

if you plan on upgrading and going faster, DO NOT BUY THIS SKI, look at a used 215 motor ski instead

trust me , you will save alot of money, i learned the hard way....

lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    2004 GTX SC
    Red SC
    185 HP
    NON-IC'd
    7650rpm rev limit
    64-65mph GPS
    Yellow Valve cover

It probably still has the OEM ceramic washers in it. If he says 8000 rpm, take it out for a ride to verify...
    Thanks this was the info I was looking for.
    I suspect when I take it out, it wont run 8000 rpms. He claims it is all stock and I questioned him as the Red SC cover threw me. I have another 215 now so I know about the skiis just not the 2004 GTX.
    Thx Danny for actually answering the question

hitting rev limiter

Ski runs fine but out this weekend and it is bouncing off the rev limiter at 7700 rpm. I was considering the Riva stage 1 but it shows an increase of another 200 rpm. How does this kit work if I am already hitting the rev limiter on top?

+1
    Ski runs fine but out this weekend and it is bouncing off the rev limiter at 7700 rpm. I was considering the Riva stage 1 but it shows an increase of another 200 rpm. How does this kit work if I am already hitting the rev limiter on top?
    It uses the 13/20r impeller.

Read "JPEConsult's 185 Build". lol...Start at the begining. Take the advise and start with the 215 platform. I am fighting the 185 right now. --jeremy

not looking for huge gains just something closer to a stock rxt 215 The ski only has 70 hours on it and is decent shape Runs 57 on gps right now

+1
    not looking for huge gains just something closer to a stock rxt 215 The ski only has 70 hours on it and is decent shape Runs 57 on gps right now
    A GTXSC is running 57 right now? If that is the case, you need to check the SC. It should be 62ish stock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information