Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tell me about the 2000 SLX!

I'm looking to get my 1st PWC, and there is an appealing looking 2000 Polaris SLX in my area.

Can anyone tell me about this model?

If I ended up getting one, what would be the things to replace first for routine mainentance? What about the first parts to upgrade for performance?

I believe it has the Polaris 1165 cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke 135 horsepower engine. What should I know about this engine?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can ask this SLX owner.

Click here for the available Polaris Service Manuals.
    We don't have a 2000 manual online yet, but the 1998 and 2002 manuals will cover most of the common ground for the carbureted 1200 engine.

Do some reading and searching through the forum, lots of info has been posted regarding maintenance, etc. All the Polaris domestic engined carburetor models are similar mechanically (900, 1050, 1200).

The SLX was the high performance model for recreational use, so it already has most of the go fast and handling stuff.

There are a few options for more power and speed, such as higher compression, and possibly triple pipes.

BTW, welcome to the Hulk!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

what water conditions

the slx isn't a good rough water ski.it can be made better but then its not as good for the smooth water,if you live in mansfield then were talking joe pool and were talking rough water.ocean pro makes a good plate but i think the corners should be whacked off the back otherwise it has a tendacy to go straight and not turn as hard as it could,a r&d 650 grates a must.tweak the prop,reed petals,rejet the lows to 65.ride like crazy

How would one compare to a Pro 785 overall?

+1

gas

as a side note,the slx holds 12.5 gallons with 40mm carbs,does good all day,the pro holds 9.8 with 44mm carbs and goes thru it fairly quick as does my pro1200 with just 42's

I will try to do a compression test on the 2000 SLX. What compression should it be?

+1

comp

guages vary,the main thing is they all be close to one another,135,140,138 something like that.

+1
    IMO, the SLX is the better boat vs. the Pro 785. Go with the SLX. More "easy" fun vs. the fill er' up constantly and stay close to shore type ride.

+1
    Before I start, know that I've never even seen a 785! But man, do I love the 2000 SLX! What a fun ride! It totally cranks the turns, at least compared to the SL650 series craft. The SL650 wants to skip like a stone, the SLX just grabs and turns, occasionally pitching me or my son off the high-side in the process.

My SLX has been stone-cold reliable. I busted the stub shaft a few years ago, believe my brother-in-law sucked a rock thru the pump causing this. Other than that, nothing! In 6 years of owning it.

I was just out a few hours ago, and with the few mods that my ski has, I was running 6620 rpm and 62.5 mph on GPS. That's down a touch from my all-time high on this machine, but still pretty respectable. It might be due to the 240 hours I've got on the motor, or it might be due to the 4lbs of rocks I pulled out of the pump last week, when my wife ran it onto the beach.....

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information