Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about reeds

Well I just ordered two triple outlet fuel pumps form Zig for my 2 95 SL750's and going to make that change out and I was thinking if I have the carb assembly off shouldent I just go ahead and pull off the intake and inspect the reeds for damage and wear?

If you agree that is what I should do what type of reeds should I buy and from whom?

one more question do my 95 SL750's have that stutters that are right near the reeds and what can you tell me about a stutters? Cya Slick

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Inspect the reeds for sure. Buy a set of reed spacers if you can while you're at it. Also, you'll want new reed gaskets whichever you do. (6 without spacers and 9 with spacers)

A recommended replacement reed would the Carbon Tech ($150) or Boyesen Pro reeds ($120). You can get the Boyesen power reeds for around $80, better than stock. Any of these will still use the reed stuffer inside the cages.

The stuffer helps to maintain air velocity, for a crisp response.

The reed spacer moves the petals out of the air turbulence created by the crank shaft, increasing petal life and boosting midrange power.

Quality performance reeds such as V Force and Boyesen RAD valves use a different reed cage than stock. Therefore they don't use a stuffer. But they do come with a $350 and up price tag.

V Force II have an adjustable tension to help set up the reeds for your ideal RPM range.

Thanks for the advice, It's funny I have wrenched on cars all my life but getting use to these two strokes is a whole diffrent ball game but always interesting, thanks again.. Cya Slick

I just completed a compresion test of both SL750 Ski's and one of them came back at 120 each cylinder and the other came back at 122 per cylinder.. By what the manual say's you need anywhere from 120 to 150 on the test, is 120 on the low side or is 120 normal? Cya Slick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are holding the throttle wide open during each test, and have a healthy, fully charged battery, then your compression numbers are just fine.

More important than the absolute numbers is the delta between cylinders. 5% or less difference between cylinders is considered just fine.

The actual number readings will vary from gauge to gauge, so you often cannot compare your numbers to what others have measured on their own engines.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you are holding the throttle wide open during each test, and have a healthy, fully charged battery, then your compression numbers are just fine.

More important than the absolute numbers is the delta between cylinders. 5% or less difference between cylinders is considered just fine.

The actual number readings will vary from gauge to gauge, so you often cannot compare your numbers to what others have measured on their own engines.
    I understand, Yeah each cylinder seem to test the same on each ski which I was happy with the results.. Hey there K447 I will be a hour north of you in about a week up at lake Simcoe perch fishing, ever do any riding there?? Cya Slick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    ...I will be a hour north of you in about a week up at lake Simcoe perch fishing, ever do any riding there?
    I will be riding on Lake Muskoka today
    Should be good today - warm, low winds, not so many other boaters around.

We rode on Lake Simcoe several times this summer - rough some days, fairly smooth other days.

Wind and weather forecast so far for next week is forecast to be much colder.

regarding reed stuffer, not reed block, does the stuffer go on top of the reed or on the bottom of the reed? 1997 SL 1050. hurry need to know now!

+1
    It goes inside the reed cage.

Its called a reed stuffer on the parts diagram on the 97 SL 1050. Its like a vehicle mud flap. About 2" tall and 3" wide. Does it go on the upper part of the reed stopp or the boTtom part of the reed stop. Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by loonatik View Post
    It goes inside the reed cage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information