New Triton Blowing Fuse

Hi all, I have a 2008 Triton Single LTWCI that I just got brand new, well supposedly. Anyway, I have found that when the trailer is connected and I hit the brakes, it is blowing a 15 amp fuse under the hood. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere or a wire touching the trailer, however am unsure how to test it. Does anyone have any ideas? How are the lights removed on this trailer, they appear sealed into the aluminum, do I just pull the rubber around the lens out? Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

+1
    Yes pull the rubber out and the light will come out. Check all the connections something is loose.

+1
    I had a wire that was grounded out were the dealer installed the storage wheel up front..They tightend the wire behind the washer grounding it out to the frame..You are definatly grounding out.. If its just when you hit the brakes then find out what color is associated with the brakes then chase that one..

Thanks for the help already. Any idea how I can test it once I find it without hooking up to the vehicle? Will a volt/ohm meter show anything without current going through? May not get to it until this weekend, but I appreciate the quick help.

Me and my fried both got new Triton trailers in '07 and mine and his both had loose connections at the right tail light. ours didn't short but it could have. A volt meter won't work with out voltage in the circuit. you could put the meter on the ohm setting and put the black led from the meter to the trailer frame and then check the wire for the brake lights and turn signals. you should not have continuity to ground. If the meter reads anything then it is dead shorted to the trailer frame. Also try this with the black meter lead to the black wire on the trailer connector, trailer unplugged from truck, and the red lead to the other wires. also should not have good continuity.

mksmi, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out this weekend hopefully. When I asked about the meter, I meant ohm reading, so that's what I'll try if it is not obvious when I pull the lights. I'm hoping it will be staring back at me as soon as I pull the lights, that would make it much easier.

Fixed

Finally got around to messing with this trailer. mksmi, it appears to be an issue with Triton, as my trailer had a connection actually fall out on the right tail light. When I pulled out the light two of the male ends were just laying loose. I got one to snap back in, the other would not snap in, so I tried to tighten the female end and it appears to be a solid connection now. Also checked the left side and the same connection, for the tail lights, was loose. All lights work now, we'll see how it does this weekend when I trailer it. Hopefully something doesnt shake loose again. Thanks everyone for the help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSCIC View Post
    ...two of the male ends were just laying loose. I got one to snap back in, the other would not snap in, so I tried to tighten the female end and it appears to be a solid connection now.
    Also checked the left side and the same connection, for the tail lights, was loose...
    Check every connection on every light, including all the little running lights.

I found several on my Triton Elite that needed the female part squeezed to make the connection stay tight.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSCIC View Post
    Finally got around to messing with this trailer. mksmi, it appears to be an issue with Triton, as my trailer had a connection actually fall out on the right tail light. When I pulled out the light two of the male ends were just laying loose. I got one to snap back in, the other would not snap in, so I tried to tighten the female end and it appears to be a solid connection now. Also checked the left side and the same connection, for the tail lights, was loose. All lights work now, we'll see how it does this weekend when I trailer it. Hopefully something doesnt shake loose again. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Glad to help out. That's strange that all these Triton's have this tail light connections problem. I guess everyone with a new Triton would pull there lights and check them. I filled mine with some dielectric grease before reconnecting them.

It seems all brands of trailers just have $hit wiring..... My nationwide was horrible, I was constantly having problems with lights going out, fuses blowing etc..... I finally bought all new LED lights, pulled new wire and heat shrunk all connections..... been flawless since. I cant believe how cobbled together the wiring is on these things from the most expensive triton to the cheapest trailers out there. Two of my friends have brand new tritons (beginning of this season) and have had a bunch of issuses.

Thread Information