05 RxP

what to do next?

hey guys, i have a 2005 rxp, i dont know what i should do to it next, im not gonna be doing much racing, just riding on weekends doing lots of riding up and down.

i dont think i wanna do any more performance mods at the moment, but i want to make sure the engine is safe, because ive heard of rxp's dropping vavles at 110 hours and im comming up to that here soon.

so im thinking of getting the riva valve train upgrade kit, would this be wise?

currently i have:

metal washers (from the rebuild kit)
    riva thru hull exhaust,
    riva intake grate
    riva opas block offs
    14/19 prop
    SS wear ring
    3" power filter

any suggestions on what i should do next in general, or any pointers would be greatly appreciated

+1
    To my knowledge most of the valve dropping that happens is due to poor storage or winterization. The valves in the 04 and 05 (i think) engines are hollow and weak, if not stored properly can corrode and stick causing the piston to hit it, or they corrode and break (drop) drop at high RPM. Causes a big mess and costs lots. The main things you need to do to keep you engine are, flush and lube after every ride esspecially if you ride in salt. Regular servising and oil changes. And have it winterized if you are not going to use it for long periods through the colder months. Oh and you should check your slip moment on the SC clutch to make sure it is not slipping. Depending what SC you got will change how often you need to do this. For a stock SC with normal riding i would say evry 25 hours would be good. R88

+1
    You dont need the riva valve train untill you want to turn more than stock RPM (8100). It is only needed to stop the valves bouncing at high RPM. R88

05 RxP
    thanks for the info, well, here in the caribbean winter isnt much but wind to us.
    i ride alot, about 3-6 hours in total per weekend, i wanna make sure nothing happens that i can prevent.
    the waverunner was put down for about 4-5 months for this year, before i got it, and nothing has happened yet, just the mechanic that rebuilt my SC recommended that i get the valves
    i do ride in salt water, but i was always wondering if i did the proper maintainence after riding, i run the hose in the rear, and let it run for about 2 mins, take the hose out, do a few squeezes to get water out, turn the engine off, let it cool down, spray down the engine with water all over, wipe it off, and spray some WD40 in there..

please tell me if this is hurting the engine, or if i am missing something out

+1
    Sound like you are doing everything ok. 1 thing that you could do is to take your air filter off and spray some lube into the intake when the engine is at idle. This will coat everthing an stop it corroding. Could do this maybe every few rides. The amount you use your ski you are unliely to suffer dropping a valve because of corrosion. As said before it is a problem that occurs because of the engine not being turned over for long periods of time. R88

05 RxP
    Cool, thanks buddy.

Now, what to do next to it? I was thinking maybe changing the SC impeller? Where could I get a X SC impeller from, from what I've heard they are pretty decent, and even change the sound of ur bike.

+1
    Well yes the X sc is supposed to be good. I will be upgrading to this before next summer. You cant just buy the X sc impeller because the inside of the X sc is actually larger than the standard 215 sc. Basically if you had an X sc impeller it would not fit in your housing. You gota buy the whole X sc from the online store. Plus if your sc has not been rebuilt since new then it is getting towards the sort of hours where it needs to be rebuilt. Buy the time you got all the bits to rebuild your sc it would cost you more than a brand new X sc. Bear in mind tho that to run the X sc you will need to get more fuel into the engine with an RRFPR, plus a external IC would be a good addition. It goes on as you are prob beggining to see. R88

05 RxP
    i have already had my SC rebuilt, it was done right before i got the waverunner, literally 2 days. but yea i see where you are heading with this... thanks for everything

Thread Information