Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast away!

Cast away!

Hi Guys,

I live on the West Coast of the Gulf of Thailand,
    Beautiful place: we have 1m surf any day, white sand, black sand, candy-shape cliffs, a cluster of dream islands, jungle all around, wild animals, elephants, and spicy hot women everywhere.

To complete my paradise picture I got myself a 07 RXP last Xmas, my 1rst ski, totally blew my mind!
    Only thing is my hosts, the local fishermen pretty much use the sea for everything: fish-farming, washing (self, dishes, laundry, etc), and sadly garbage disposal,
    So we get lots of plastic stuff drifting in crystal-clear mid waters.
    Almost anytime I ride close to shore, I get to pull over by the beach to get rid of the plastic bags stuck in.

Will it be safe in such waters to change the stock intake grate, and replace it with the Riva top loader?
    I really fancy a racing grate, but kind of worry that the wider gap would make it easier for stuff to get sucked in, possibly hard-braking the ski at top speed, and getting my ass ejected badly.
    I am ready to take the risk, if reasonable, cause our sea is pretty choppy all the time, and I heard it would much improve handling in waves.

Learning from this great forum, I started modding a few weeks ago with any parts I can get my hands on around here:
    So far I got Titanium washers from Oz, Riva power filter kit, and Solas 14/19R,
    The prop brought down my rpm from 8.100 to 7.700, obviously a bit heavy, but I am pretty sure I got extra top speed (no GPS yet)
    I have also ordered a Les Cooke sc impeller, do you guys think it will bring my RPM back to +8.000?
    Will this be a good mod set-up?
    I was thinking about a Riva intercooler, but the cost to ship it here is murder,
    will a thermostat alone be a worthy add-on?

Thanks for your advice, I wish we had a few guys like you around here to ride along

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PETRUS View Post
    Hi Guys,

I live on the West Coast of the Gulf of Thailand,
    Beautiful place: we have 1m surf any day, white sand, black sand, candy-shape cliffs, a cluster of dream islands, jungle all around, wild animals, elephants, and spicy hot women everywhere.

To complete my paradise picture I got myself a 07 RXP last Xmas, my 1rst ski, totally blew my mind!
    Only thing is my hosts, the local fishermen pretty much use the sea for everything: fish-farming, washing (self, dishes, laundry, etc), and sadly garbage disposal,
    So we get lots of plastic stuff drifting in crystal-clear mid waters.
    Almost anytime I ride close to shore, I get to pull over by the beach to get rid of the plastic bags stuck in.

Will it be safe in such waters to change the stock intake grate, and replace it with the Riva top loader?
    I really fancy a racing grate, but kind of worry that the wider gap would make it easier for stuff to get sucked in, possibly hard-braking the ski at top speed, and getting my ass ejected badly.
    I am ready to take the risk, if reasonable, cause our sea is pretty choppy all the time, and I heard it would much improve handling in waves.

Learning from this great forum, I started modding a few weeks ago with any parts I can get my hands on around here:
    So far I got Titanium washers from Oz, Riva power filter kit, and Solas 14/19R,
    The prop brought down my rpm from 8.100 to 7.700, obviously a bit heavy, but I am pretty sure I got extra top speed (no GPS yet)
    I have also ordered a Les Cooke sc impeller, do you guys think it will bring my RPM back to +8.000?
    Will this be a good mod set-up?
    I was thinking about a Riva intercooler, but the cost to ship it here is murder,
    will a thermostat alone be a worthy add-on?

Thanks for your advice, I wish we had a few guys like you around here to ride along

Welcome to the forum!

Perfoming a simple repitch on the 14/19 will bring your rpm's back up. Its not hard to do...But do it AFTER you get the Les Cooke unit installed.

Swapping the grates will not harm anything, if you are gonna suck something up that will stop your ski, no intake grate will prevent it...

FOr a reduced cost, you can recreate an IC setup using an XS style and local tubing...

The thermostat is a good item to reduce engine temps and heat fade...

+1
    For riding in constant chop, Wouldn't the R&D Intake grate be a better choice? It scrubs a little top speed but provides a lot of hookup in the chop -- chime in if I'm wrong.

Might want to think about a groco stariner if the water is that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Perfoming a simple repitch on the 14/19 will bring your rpm's back up. Its not hard to do...But do it AFTER you get the Les Cooke unit installed.

Swapping the grates will not harm anything, if you are gonna suck something up that will stop your ski, no intake grate will prevent it...

FOr a reduced cost, you can recreate an IC setup using an XS style and local tubing...

The thermostat is a good item to reduce engine temps and heat fade...
    Thanks DANNY, will do!
    What specs u recommend for my repitch?
    (BTW, why AFTER? any side-effect if before the new wheel is in?)
    Can u pls tell me more about this IC setup using an XS style and local tubing
    I can get a Riva thermostat shipped for bout 250$, is it worth it? will I really feel the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by RX-Pike View Post
    For riding in constant chop, Wouldn't the R&D Intake grate be a better choice? It scrubs a little top speed but provides a lot of hookup in the chop -- chime in if I'm wrong.
    Thanks RXPIKE,
    The R&D looks good! but how different is it from Riva's?
    From the pics I see on the net, appart form the finish, I cant really tell the difference
    Which set of sponsons u recommend me for heavy chop and surfing open ocean waves?
    Is it worth filling my ride-plate holes if I ride only in ocean?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PETRUS View Post
    Thanks DANNY, will do!
    What specs u recommend for my repitch?
    (BTW, why AFTER? any side-effect if before the new wheel is in?)
    Can u pls tell me more about this IC setup using an XS style and local tubing
    I can get a Riva thermostat shipped for bout 250$, is it worth it? will I really feel the difference?

You said you want to go with a GreenWheel, whic will make more power than you do now. Therefore you will be able to turn the impeller faster, so you might not need to repitch that much. If you are at 7700 now, with a greenwheel you could be at 7900-8000ish...so only a sliht repitch is needed......Worry about that when you get there...

As for the IC kit, check out the new Fizzle kit...
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=983

The thermo is not going to gian you any major performance items, just keep the motor cooler on hot days...

Quote Originally Posted by gtxscrider View Post
    Might want to think about a groco stariner if the water is that bad.
    Thanks GTXSCRIDER,
    we get plenty of good weed here, but fortunately none in the water...
    U think the strainer will protect against smaller plastic strands, fishing line, etc? Can those really get sucked in as far as the ic?
    I thought the stock RXP would come with some kind of basic filter protection, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You said you want to go with a GreenWheel, whic will make more power than you do now. Therefore you will be able to turn the impeller faster, so you might not need to repitch that much. If you are at 7700 now, with a greenwheel you could be at 7900-8000ish...so only a sliht repitch is needed......Worry about that when you get there...

As for the IC kit, check out the new Fizzle kit...
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=983

The thermo is not going to gian you any major performance items, just keep the motor cooler on hot days...
    Ah ok, the 4tec XS, I hear lots of good things about this one, my mates in Japan say it s much better than Rotax, Piranha, for both efficiency and
    corrosion, and almost as good as the Riva which costs a 1.000$ more
    I m gonna check with 4tec if they can ship to Asia

Petrus

Dont go for the RIVA Sponsons in the chop, I ride same conditions you do and RIVA sponsons will make it worse in chop, I have mine here and not using them

Stock setup is best IMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information