Offshore OceanRider
    +1

10/04/08, Bucaneer Day - Two Harbor, Catalina Island

Departing out of Cabrillo Launch Ramp - 9:00 a.m. Saturday, 4 Oct 08. http://www.pubclub.com/LosAngeles/buccaneer.htm

Sure wish I wasn't busy next week..that looks like a blast

Offshore OceanRider
    +1
    Thought I would try to stir up a little more interest here. Where are all the so-called offshore riders? Staying close to shore?

It'll be a great training run and make for some great pictures. Don't forget to bring a camera.

Offshore OceanRider
    +1

Pirate Day - Slide Show photos

Great ride - story coming. View the link above to see the pictures.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...DAYS%20100408/

Offshore OceanRider
    +1

Buccaneer Day Ride Report, 4 Oct 08

Pirates spotted off the Catalina Island coast on Saturday, 4 October 2008. Two SoCal Watercraft club riders on their way to Two Harbors to participate in the 9th annual Buccaneer Days event spotted a pirate ship flying their jolly roger off the coast of Catalina Island.

This new term buccaneer has now become a synonym for Pirates. In my day real pirate ships sported large urglier crews and were more localized to the Caribbean and not the Pacific. Arrrrrr. How times have changed!

Shiver me timbers as I recall these two brave, strong and good looking PWC riders casting off from the Cabrillo launch ramp for a 9 a.m. departure time to brave the impending RAIN squalls. PWC Rider Chase recounted how he has dreamed of riding to Catalina for the past two years but; stated he may not have driven up from San Diego to ride; if he fully understood all of the possible seaborne dangers involved.

When confronted with the question why more SOCAL club riders were not on hand to help us take on these pirates it was somewhat explained by non other than SoCal Watercraft Club V/P PIRATE 33 via text message. “World Finals” are next weekend and our precious fuel reserves are not to be squandered on such an event as Pirate Days”.

So with that answer you can expect a way better turn out from the club for “talk like a pirate day” next September 19th. No, I’m not asking anyone to turn in their “Pirate” handle yet; although pirate was my first handle choice with Trawlercat coming in a distant third.

So for everyone in the PWC riding community sporting a “Pirate” handle not familiar with this ride.
    'May the Devil take my soul if I ever gives quarter or asks it of ye you damn, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together.

That was just a sampling of the pirate talk you to can endure during BUCCANEER DAYS.
    All good natured roasting aside the NOAA weather predictions did scare off two other potential riders. Maybe it is true that REAL Pirates do go out in all kinds of weather albeit prepared and ride off shore on small fast annoying fuel sucking boats. And don’t forget jump waves and are possibly starting to get annoying to their pirate and non pirate friends.

Back to Pirate Story: "Avast, there!" With their Jolly Roger flying; when confronted, one of the Pirate spokesman said they wanted ransom, nothing else. “We need nothing else to survive out here and if attacked we will defend ourselves until the very end”. It was not possible to further confirm the Pirates identities but you can see from their pictures that these TWO are fierce fighters; especially the wench. The s/v cutlass’ ultimate goal was for a beach landing on Two Harbors. Unfortunately, for these two they were not the first to get the same idea. numerous other dinghies also sported a pirate ship look as well as a flying jolly Rogers.

Perhaps we could’ve taken them said first time PWC Rider to Catalina Island – Chase, AKA: Camaudio. A scarred veteran of many wars, Trawlercat opted against aggravating these modern day pirates. They also seemed to favor small boat tactics for taking on the larger recreational vessels that usually ply these waters in search of booty, beer and rum, but not necessarily in that order. The recreational boaters THAT IS – not the Pirates.

riding conditions - near flat waters with visibility from the mainland to the island and back. The sun SMILED on Two harbors this weekend. The 5-6’ swells predicted did not originate. My riding partner did not even wear a helmet, nor glasses or goggles for this ride and except for the time when he thought his ski ingested something and jumped in; he may have had a dry ride to the island.

The economic conditions and higher gas prices could be the reason for the slower cruising speeds of Pirate boats plying these waters making them less of a threat TO piracy. With no fear that anything short of a cigarette boat could catch us CHASE AND I entered Two harbors bay. Trawlercat on an ULTRA 250X AND chase ON A YAMAHA CRUISER. And what did we encounter?

Nothing other than a cigarette boat among an entire fleet of anchored and moored sailing and power boats ALL sporting the Jolly Roger. Such a sight to see and over the dinghy dock a poor fellow that failed to treat his fellow pirates with dignity and respect was made to walk the plank and left hanging.

I am told Pirates ate poorly and died young but by the look of these pirate crews on land it was my opinion that these pirates were anything but lacking in “feast” and rum”. So to all a merry rum rum rum and hopefully, we’ll ALSO see you for Buccaneer Days 2009.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR “TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY” SEPTEMBER 19TH OR IF YOU’RE A REAL PIRATE FOR THE FIRST WEEKEND IN OCTOBER 2009 – BUCANEER DAYS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sv cutlass.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	341.9 KB 
ID:	97906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanging guy8.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	97907  

Thread Information