How to repair trim on a 1997 SPX?

Hello all. I'm looking at buying a 1997 Seadoo SPX, and apparently everything works on it except the gauges, and the trim.

What's the worst case I am looking at dollar-wise to fix the trim? What are the possible solutions, since the seller hasn't said exactly what is wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by landmonster View Post
    Hello all. I'm looking at buying a 1997 Seadoo SPX, and apparently everything works on it except the gauges, and the trim.

What's the worst case I am looking at dollar-wise to fix the trim? What are the possible solutions, since the seller hasn't said exactly what is wrong with it?

You can pick the gauges up on ebay, but I suggest buying the vts motor and housing new. It will cost about 300 to fix it all.

Quote Originally Posted by landmonster View Post

These are the most common issues. The gauges typically go more often on saltwater used skis.
    Regardless, You dont need the gauges. You can pop the hood and see your fuel tank. Thats up to you.

As for the trim, its the VTS module that burns out. Its a black oval shaped box that is located at the back of the ski. If you lift the seat you will see it. It clearly says VTS across the front of it. You may get one used on here used but I would not advise it. I see them for 200 new on ebay. Its the same for all X4 skis, 96XPs and 97-99spx

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    I helped a friend with his 98 GSX-Ltd and found that the wires in the housing (black oval) had broken off. We took the units apart and repaired. The other unit worked fine other than the toggle switch on the dash. Fixed the entire deal with new parts from dealer for under $50.

Thread Information